cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-click options missing in MacOS.

Right-click options missing in MacOS.

cloudstoragelover
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Based on previous threads here, the solution seems to be to quit both Dropbox and Finder, but that has not worked for me. I have the Dropbox icon active in my menu bar, but don't have any right-click options as if it's not installed. Dropbox is enabled in my App extensions though. Also, I can no longer drag and drop files from Finder into the shortcut menu on the left-side of Finder. If I try that it gives me a circle with line through it. Also, when I put files in Dropbox from my other computer, on my Mac they all have the "cloud" icon next to them so they have to be downloaded. The only thing that's changed software or hardware is a few weeks ago I got a notification from Dropbox that it was ready to move the files in my box to a secure one? Something like that? Other than that nothing has changed, it just disappeared and I can't get it back. MacOS Ventura, M1 Air. Thanks in advance for any advice as I use these shortcuts daily!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, as you're running the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS, context menus for Dropbox should only appear when you're right clicking files in the Dropbox folder itself. You shouldn't get any Dropbox options for files outside the Dropbox folder.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cloudstoragelover, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar?

Also, did you give Dropbox full disk access as outlined here?

For more information about the new desktop app on your Mac, you can have a look here.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cloudstoragelover
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Walter. Here's the status/version, and full disk access was not enabled, but I enabled it and there's no change. 

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 6.53.04 AM.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi from me as well, @cloudstoragelover!

Just to make sure I get this right, you’re able to see syncing icons next to your Dropbox files on the app; it’s just the context menu options that don’t appear, when right clicking. Correct? 

When quitting/relaunching your Finder, did you follow the exact steps showing below? 

Click on the Apple logo located at the top-left of the screen.

Click on System Preferences.

Click on Extensions.

Click on Finder Extensions.

Only leave Dropbox Finder Integration ticked.

Once this is completed, close the window.

Click one more time on the Apple logo at the top-left of the screen.

Click on Force Quit.

Look for Finder on the list.

Click on Finder then Relaunch.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

cloudstoragelover
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks @Nancy . Here's a summary. 

Right-click options do not exist for files that are not in Dropbox. This is my main issue as I use two computers that share this folder. I have to manually copy them to the Dropbox folder now. 

In my Dropbox I can right-click and share files normally, etc. None of those files have a "sync" icon but i don't mind that. 

In addition, I can no longer drag files from Finder into the Dropbox shortcut listed under "favorites" in Finder. I get a circle with a line through it. 

Files that are moved into Dropbox from my 2nd computer appear with a "cloud" icon below them, so I have to download them to use them. 

I followed your steps above, and note that with MacOS Ventura the "settings" have changed so you might want to redo your wording for that. Regardless, I found extensions, left Dropbox enabled, restarted Finder, and it did not change anything. I quite both Dropbox and relaunched Finder, no change. 

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 10.41.33 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cloudstoragelover, could you clarify if this behavior is only occurring on the one Mac OS device?

Is the Dropbox folder located in the CloudStorage location for all your devices, or just this one?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cloudstoragelover
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Jay  - yes, just one MacOS device. I have an M1 air and a windows PC that both share the folder. On the Mac it's in 

/Users/myname/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

So when I put a file into the folder from my PC, a cloud icon appears next to it on my Mac and I have to download the file, and this was never the case previously. Not a huge deal as it downloads instantly, just a strange behavior that is new. Nothing has changed hardware-wise or software-wise on these machines, except the moving of the folder that was mandated by Dropbox a few weeks ago. I suspect that is the catalyst but don't have any proof. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cloudstoragelover, the fact that new files added by other computers, sync as online-only (cloud icon), is expected behavior with the Dropbox for macOS app.

You can see that and other expected changes in this article, that Walter hyperlinked in his reply before.

As for the right-click menu items, are they missing from files that are actually within the Dropbox folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

cloudstoragelover
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Hannah Thanks for your reply. 

The files in Dropbox have normal right-click options yes. Here's some additional screens to show my settings. 

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.08.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.09.42 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, as you're running the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS, context menus for Dropbox should only appear when you're right clicking files in the Dropbox folder itself. You shouldn't get any Dropbox options for files outside the Dropbox folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wtravlr1 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    JonnyRoss New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?