cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

The Dropbox upgrade moved the dropbox files to my  ~/Library/CloudStorage/ --- but I can't save any files to that folder. 

All the online instructions say "do the advanced reinstallation per this page: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall " -- but the instructions on this page aren't visible;  the accordions don't open. 

How can I move my files out of my library and back to my user folder, so I can edit them? 

46 Replies 46

Rich
Super User II

@ShanaC wrote:

How can I move my files out of my library and back to my user folder, so I can edit them? 

Why can't you edit files in that location? To the best of my knowledge, Dropbox can only reside in the Library folder moving forward. This is a restriction put in place by Apple.

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to make edits to a file, and it tells me that isn't able to save to the Library. 

This article refers to the same problem -- and says it was solved by doing the advanced reinstall : 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Delete-edit-and-organize/Can-t-point-to-existing-dropbox-folder-maco...

Unfortunately, the advanced reinstall instruction page isn't working - I can't open the accordions. https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall 

Rich
Super User II

@ShanaC wrote:

This article refers to the same problem -- and says it was solved by doing the advanced reinstall : 

I don't think that's going to solve this for you. With the new restriction from Apple, the /Dropbox folder is being moved to the CloudStorage folder and changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported. Even if you did an advanced reinstall, you'll still be left with a Dropbox folder located in CloudStorage. Keep in mind that the post you're referring to is now 8 months old.

I am trying to make edits to a file, and it tells me that isn't able to save to the Library. 

I think the best option for you is to determine why you can't save to your Library and correct that issue. What is giving you that message? Is that from a specific application or all of them, or perhaps from the operating system? Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

Since I can't actually see the instructions on Dropbox, it's hard for me to know -- can you duplicate what the Mac advanced reinstall instructions are supposed to be on this page:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall

Rich
Super User II

@ShanaC wrote:

Since I can't actually see the instructions on Dropbox, it's hard for me to know -- can you duplicate what the Mac advanced reinstall instructions

No, I can't, but it's likely the same or similar to what Stefanie posted here. Again, this is old information and likely won't have an impact on the Dropbox folder being moved into the CloudStorage folder, as that is now a restriction put in place by Apple.

Joergos
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem. **bleep**.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Just trying to establish how this will affect the current working practices of our studio...

So at the moment all team members have their DropBox folder located at Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > Studio DropBox

This means we can use software like InDesign that creates absolute paths to images etc, and that file path is never affected by a particular persons Mac user account, because it never features in the file path.

Presumably that is not going to work going forward as ~/Library/CloudStorage will be with the Mac user account?

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

Sure seems like it, yes.  This makes Dropbox completely useless, and means I will not be renewing my subscription.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

That's a real shame, but it leaves our practice with no option, DropBox is no longer suitable for our needs. We'll be cancelling a large number of Business subscriptions and hoping that we can find an alternative way of working. It's really quite astounding how something can go from being the perfect solution, to useless, so quickly.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

eedis Helpful | Level 5
    genox New member | Level 2
    discofuel Helpful | Level 6
    Andrew Parker Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?