cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't start dropbox because of permission error.

Why am I getting a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' permission error?

Minh Anh V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here's the message that I get:

Couldn't start Dropbox.
This is usually because of permission error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This often happens with users who may have migrated old data and settings from another Mac to their current computer.

Operating system permissions prevent files from being viewed or edited by unauthorized logins. Permissions can be set any number of ways and can be restored manually through a fairly simple process. Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically as failure to do so may result in other issues. On a Mac OS X you can do the following:

1) Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2) Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click your profile picture or initials

3) Select 'Preferences'

4) Click on the 'Account' tab

5) Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key

6) Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option' key.

This will allow Dropbox access to your home folder, Dropbox folder, and any required settings.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Guy L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I can't start dropbox on my laptop. I get this message

"Couldn't start Dropbox This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error."

I had a previous version running fine. so I uninstalled it and installed the latest version from dropbox website. Then it told me the folder dropbox already existed and it will be renamed and I clicked install. That's all I know. It has also referenced a log file and I have pasted the contents of this below.

Please help I just upgraded to a pro account earlier today

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 3.0.5
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: 24
bn.is_frozen: True
pid: 2308
cwd: u'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin'
real_path=u'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'C:\Users\Guy'
appdata: u'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance2'
real_path=u'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance2'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: u'C:\Users\Guy\Dropbox'
real_path=u'C:\Users\Guy\Dropbox'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.file: 'C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe\dropbox\client\ui\common\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe\dropbox\client\ui\common\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: u'c:\users\guy\appdata\local\temp'
real_path=u'c:\users\guy\appdata\local\temp'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\client\authenticate.pyc", line 1285, in authentication_thread
File "dropbox\client\authenticate.pyc", line 404, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox\sync_engine\sync_engine.pyc", line 484, in mount_dropbox_folder
File "dropbox\sync_engine\block_cache.pyc", line 35, in init
File "dropbox\sync_engine\block_cache.pyc", line 41, in compute_max_size
File "dropbox\sync_engine_file_system\windows.pyc", line 182, in wrapped
File "contextlib.pyc", line 35, in __exit
_
File "dropbox\sync_engine_file_system\util.pyc", line 94, in convert_error
File "dropbox\sync_engine_file_system\windows.pyc", line 182, in wrapped
File "dropbox\sync_engine_file_system\windows.pyc", line 442, in get_disk_space_info
FSInvalidArgumentError: [Errno 22] The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

John D.97
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've just installed dropbox and got the same error message when I tried to start it.

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This often happens with users who may have migrated old data and settings from another Mac to their current computer.

Operating system permissions prevent files from being viewed or edited by unauthorized logins. Permissions can be set any number of ways and can be restored manually through a fairly simple process. Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically as failure to do so may result in other issues. On a Mac OS X you can do the following:

1) Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2) Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click your profile picture or initials

3) Select 'Preferences'

4) Click on the 'Account' tab

5) Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key

6) Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option' key.

This will allow Dropbox access to your home folder, Dropbox folder, and any required settings.

John D.97
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sorry Kaz, I don't understand you answer. I can't open the Dropbox application so I can't get past step 1 in your instructions.

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ John, could you try the following? It is another way to repair your permissions:

1) Select your home directory (the folder named after your computer's login) and press Command-I to "Get Info"
2) Scroll down to the "Sharing & Permissions" section at the bottom of the Get Info window
3) If everything is grayed out, click on the gold lock at the bottom right of the window. You'll be prompted for your login password. You'll need admin access to edit the permissions. If you are unable to unlock these privileges, talk to your system administrator to give you access to this folder.
4) Your name should already be on the list of sharing and permissions. If you aren't listed, then add yourself by clicking the + button.
5) Once your user is added, click your name and then click the gear menu at the bottom middle of the window, and choose "Make me the owner". If this option is grayed out you can skip to step 6.
6) Click the gear again and choose "Apply to enclosed items".

Kathy T.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem after migrating data and settings to a new Mac. I tried to uninstall and then reinstall Dropbox, but still no luck. What finally did the trick was removing the Dropbox application settings. Instructions are in the Dropbox Help Center, under For Advanced Users:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

John D.97
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Kathy - I tried that but it couldn't find the folder. Thanks Kaz, your solution worked fine.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Guy

Could you please follow these steps:

On your Dropbox client (desktop version):

1. Click on the Dropbox icon and then the "gear" at the bottom right
  2. Open the Preferences pane
  3. Click the Account tab.
  4. Hold down the Option key and the "Unlink This Computer" button will become a "Fix Permissions" button.
  5. Click the Fix Permissions button and quit Dropbox.
  6. Restart your computer.

This should fix the problem. If you're still having problems, please let me know.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Peter K.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Respond to latest answer. My tab will not change, how long do i need to hold the option key? It stays in " Unlink this computer".

Need more support?