cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing an Organization's Account

Accessing an Organization's Account

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been given links to get into an account for which I serve on the Board of Directors. Each time I click the link, I am taken to my own Dropbox account, not the account of the organization. I log out of my account, click on the link I have been provided, then go straight into my own account again.  I need to get into the organization account. How do I do this?

My goal is to upload files to this organization's account. 

I cleared my cookies twice. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CWayman wrote:
I am not storing these files in my Dropbox account. I have them on my hard drive. I want to upload them from my hard drive up to the organization Dropbox account into a folder the Executive Director kindly created for me.

The files may not be in your Dropbox account now, but if you're a member of a shared folder and you add those files to the folder, then they will be in your Dropbox account, which is why you need enough available space to be a member of a shared folder. You're not uploading to a folder in their account. You're uploading to a folder in your account which is then synced to a similar folder in their account.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CWayman wrote:

I have been given links to get into an account for which I serve on the Board of Directors. Each time I click the link, I am taken to my own Dropbox account, not the account of the organization.

You can't access another account via a link. You can be invited to join a shared folder or possibly join their team (which merges your account into their account). You can also be sent a shared link which allows you to download files, or a file request which allows you to upload. But none of these allow you to access their account.

Exactly what was sent to you, and what instructions did they provide?

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Now this is falling into place. Thank you, Rich.

I was sent a link to the Native Americans folder. It currently has three PDFs in it. I am allowed to download the files in the folder, or save the files to my own account. I can also rotate the PDF files. No instructions were provided. 

I need to create folders in the account, then upload files. I presume I need a user id and password for the organization's dropbox account, correct?

Thank you for your help. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CWayman wrote:

I was sent a link to the Native Americans folder. ... I am allowed to download the files in the folder, or save the files to my own account.

You were sent a shared link to the folder, which allows you to view, save or download the content. You can't upload to a shared link.

I need to create folders in the account, then upload files. I presume I need a user id and password for the organization's dropbox account, correct?

No. The only user ID and password they would have is for their own account, and they should most definitely NOT share that with you or anyone else. Doing so would be a violation of the Terms and could get their account disabled.

In order to upload to files to another account, you either need to be invited to a shared folder (which requires you to have enough available space in your own account for the content in the shared folder), or they need to send you a file request, which allows you to upload directly to their account, though you won't have any access to the files after you upload them.

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you again, Rich. This information is super valuable!

You said: 

"In order to upload to files to another account, you either need to be invited to a shared folder (which requires you to have enough available space in your own account for the content in the shared folder), or they need to send you a file request, which allows you to upload directly to their account, though you won't have any access to the files after you upload them."

I have numerous files to upload. So they would need to send me a file request for hundreds of files? This org has limited time. I can't expect them to do this. 

I don't see the logic in forcing me to have space in my personal account when I'm not storing the files in my personal account. I want to upload these files into a folder scheme I set up on the Organization account. The shared folder is not shared with my personal account. It is shared with me as a human being, not my account. I just need read/write access to folders I create in the Organization account. 

Thank you. I won't be encouraging my University students to use Dropbox anymore. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CWayman wrote:

I have numerous files to upload. So they would need to send me a file request for hundreds of files?

They can send you a single file request and you can use it to upload multiple files.

I don't see the logic in forcing me to have space in my personal account when I'm not storing the files in my personal account.

But you are storing the files in your account. If they invite your personal account to a shared folder so you can upload files to it, then you have your own COPY of the shared folder in your account, and anything you place in the folder will sync to all other members of the folder.

I want to upload these files into a folder scheme I set up on the Organization account.

The only ways to upload to someone else's account is either through a File Request or a Shared folder. The only other option would be if you had access to their account (meaning you could sign in to their account) and you uploaded the files directly to the account.

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am not storing these files in my Dropbox account. I have them on my hard drive. I want to upload them from my hard drive up to the organization Dropbox account into a folder the Executive Director kindly created for me.

I have other files in my own Dropbox account. I have already deleted many of them. I can’t delete any more of them. I need them. They are voice files of friends and relatives who have died, and their Funeral Talks.

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thank you for telling me “ They can send you a single file request and you can use it to upload multiple files.” I will have the Executive Director send me a request for a file. I will let you know if this works.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CWayman wrote:

The files may not be in your Dropbox account now, but if you're a member of a shared folder and you add those files to the folder, then they will be in your Dropbox account, which is why you need enough available space to be a member of a shared folder. You're not uploading to a folder in their account. You're uploading to a folder in your account which is then synced to a similar folder in their account.

CWayman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
You are a Dropbox Genius, Rich! Thank you.
This is what I will do:
1. Upgrade my account from free to something else.
2. Get the ED to send me a file request.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CWayman Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?