cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged storage for shared content

Charged storage for shared content

XMoDiiFy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,
I keep getting messages to upgrade my drop box because it’s full. My drop box account does not have any files stored in it, everything is shared from someone else’s premium Dropbox account. Why is it taking up space in my personal Dropbox and trying to charge me for the shared space and the person who is hosting the content for the same amount of space being used? They pay for the storage of their files and shared it with me why should I have to as well if they pay for it. It’s not being saved twice it’s being saved in their account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, I hope you’re doing well. 

In general, shared folders/files take up space from your Dropbox account, as they’re being added to it and they act like normal/personal files. So, just like your personal files, they’ll also take up storage from it. 

You can also check this Help Center article for more details, if you want. 

If another user wishes to share files with you, and you don't wish to add them to your own Dropbox account, they can share a link with you instead.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @XMoDiiFy  

That is how Dropbox works. Shared folders use up the space of everybody in the share. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dance2this
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue….it doesn’t make sense that if they pay for an account and I’m just looking at it that it uses all my space up 🤨

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, I hope you’re doing well. 

In general, shared folders/files take up space from your Dropbox account, as they’re being added to it and they act like normal/personal files. So, just like your personal files, they’ll also take up storage from it. 

You can also check this Help Center article for more details, if you want. 

If another user wishes to share files with you, and you don't wish to add them to your own Dropbox account, they can share a link with you instead.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pelambung
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. I don't need the TB, I don't even need 500GB, 50GB would do. However, I have people sharing their files with me all the time, and most don't just share the link 

lohphat
Explorer | Level 4

Those files by the owner exist in a single account. Sharing doesn't duplicate the files taking up more physical storage.

Charging each share recipients quota for files shared by the owner is just a cash-grab.

We're now moving our clients to Google Drive instead.

Rich
Super User II

@lohphat wrote:

Those files by the owner exist in a single account. Sharing doesn't duplicate the files taking up more physical storage.

You actually get your own COPY of the shared folder in your account, taking up space, so you need to have enough space in your account to hold the files. You're aren't editing the files directly from the owner's account. You're editing them in your own account and the changes sync with the original.

lohphat
Explorer | Level 4

So my point stands, the copies are identical, edits are synced.  So there's no need to duplicate files not being edited.  Only changed files not synced need to be copied, not the entire share.

Again, an operational cash grab.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lohphat Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    pelambung New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?