cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continous indexing since moving to MacOS version

Continous indexing since moving to MacOS version

Sandtree
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Long term personal user, update the app (currently 163.4.5456) a few weeks ago with the promise of deeper integration with MacOS (13.1).

Since doing this the app has constantly been showing that it is attempting to sync and looking into it there are 6 files its been "indexing" for a few weeks. There are no "sync errors" reported and anything I've added since has gone through fine.  The app is currently permanently using between 5% and 10% of the CPU typically with 100+ threads running when just running in the background and not syncing (other than these 6 files)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandtree
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

PS. looking at an old article I also have tried the Log Out and back in again... it had a slightly strange effect to undo the deeper integration and move the folder back to its old location but then gave me the option to select the deeper Mac integration again and moved all the files again and started indexing again.

This seems to have solved the problem as it's now said all files are indexed and up to date! 

Maybe one to add to the help page

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Sandtree, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please check the content of your Dropbox folder and see if you can find those 6 files with a blue syncing icon on them? If you do find them, you could move them out of your Dropbox folder and then back in.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sandtree
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've scanned through the files and cannot see them obviously... unfortunately I've many thousands of small files in nested folders which makes it rather impractical 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sandtree, and sorry for jumping in. 

As trivial as it may sound, have you tried to restart your device in the meantime? Does the number of files trying to index remain the same after that?

Also, can you please take a look at this Help Center article and let me know if any of the suggestions there seems to help? This way, we’ll isolate this further. 

Thanks!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sandtree
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, have rebooted the machine for other reasons and it didn't fix them.

Looking at the article its odd that the "Update Dropbox" instruction links to how to update in the App Store when Dropbox isnt distributed via the App Store?

I've followed all the instructions and they haven't helped (they're obv written when someone knows which file isnt syncing though). I am not sure the "uninstall/reinstall" instructions fully work however as after deleting the app and reinstalling it already had user details, everything indexed etc the second it was reinstalled but I followed what the article said.

Sandtree
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

PS. looking at an old article I also have tried the Log Out and back in again... it had a slightly strange effect to undo the deeper integration and move the folder back to its old location but then gave me the option to select the deeper Mac integration again and moved all the files again and started indexing again.

This seems to have solved the problem as it's now said all files are indexed and up to date! 

Maybe one to add to the help page

radsimu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

same issue here. everything worked fine, upgraded to deeper integration. This moved everything into some /Library folder on my mac but syncing is no longer working... Can't let Dropbox team know about the issue (I need to pay them in order to tell them that "hey you srewed up" - kinda dissapointing)

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @radsimu, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with syncing.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

radsimu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter. Thanks for reaching out so quickly. Can't help with screenshot. I switched back to the old version by signing out and back in. I did loose se data in the process, everything that failed to sync to cloud was deleted without any question from the /Library location. Then the old version (the not "deeply integrated" one) brought everything from cloud back to the normal (old) location of the dropbox folder.

The "deeply integrated version" would not sync. It kept saying that it is indexing 8 files. I explored every corner of the dropbox folder to check for any icons that may have some unusual icons. All had a regular grey cloud icon on them. Other strange thing I noticed when deleting empty folder from dropbox, it took a really long time and a message showed up saying that dropbox is downloading some file and it can't be open until it is done. Very strange, seems very unstable to me. lost some files in all of this

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi from me as well, @radsimu

Is your desktop app currently up to date, or is it still syncing/indexing some updates? 

Also, regarding the missing files that you mention, can you please check your Events and Deleted files page, and let me know if you can see any trace of them there?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    radsimu New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Sandtree Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?