cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB has full disk access, but won't sync - MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

DB has full disk access, but won't sync - MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

David W.136
Helpful | Level 6

DropBox tells me that there are 1,000 files on my disk that it can't sync. All seem to be in the same folder. DB tells me that I should give it full disk access. But it has full disk access already. I tried doing a chmod to 777 on the folder. No luck. Any suggestions?

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II

What version of Dropbox is it? 

And poss a simple one, but did you try a reinstall of Dropbox? Its possible the data base is corrupt

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David W.136
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, Mark.

I haven't tried a reinstall because it sounds drastic, at least going by https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall. I have many hundreds of GB of files, and I depend on DropBox, so I'm avoiding reinstalling until all other possibilities are exhausted.

My DB version is v173.4.6706

Thanks again...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @David W.136, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What's the current sync status, when hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Also, if you try and move one of those files out of the Dropbox folder and then back in, does that help it sync?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rhettk
New member | Level 2

I am experiencing the same here.  Some files sync, yet the Dropbox app is stuck "syncing" 1 file and not progressing.  MacOS Ventura 13.3.1(a) with latest Dropbox app.  I've reinstalled the app and it's still not finalised the last remaining file.  

How can I identify which file is not syncing?  Why can't the client give any further detail so that I might be able to troubleshoot it?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rhettk, let's jump right into this! 

Can you clarify the app's current syncing status, along with the version of the Dropbox app that you're using? 

You should be able to hover your mouse over the little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi on the menu bar, in order to find the version there.

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

rhettk
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan

Thanks but this response doesn't address my query.  Namely, why the clients do not show which file(s) are remaining to be synced.

I found a file that was not syncing by looking carefully at the icons in Finder for each subfolder in the Dropbox archive.  That revealed a single folder without a tick mark.  Following the folders revealed another folder, after another, and another, before finally revealing a file deep in my Dropbox which had not synced (a "conflict" file with another computer created by Dropbox).  I deleted that file and suddenly the sync was completed.

It is not apparent to me why the Mac client had failed on this conflict file.  Other PCs syncing the same Dropbox account were not failing. 

It's also not apparent why the Dropbox app is failing to identify problems in any way that is helpful to diagnosis.

Dropbox really should be identifying these problems in a better manner. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rhettk, how did you check for your syncing status, in order to see the syncing file?

Did you hover over the little Dropbox icon, on your menu bar, or did you click on it, and check the pop-up window? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

David W.136
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry t he delay in responding; there was a lot going on since Monday.

At your suggestion, I made a copy of one of the deleted file, moved it outside of DB, deleted the original, and then moved the copy into DB. It hasn't helped; DB still lists that file as one of the 1,000 it cannot sync. 

Here's a copy of what the hover message says:

CleanShot 2023-05-11 at 11.50.55.png

Thanks for your help with this.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @David W.136, thanks for the additional information and the screenshot too!

Could you maybe try fixing your hardlinks and permissions as outlined here and let us know if syncing gets stuck at the exact same number of files again? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    David W.136 Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?