cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted folder and files still accessible via shared link

Deleted folder and files still accessible via shared link

znelson32
Explorer | Level 4

I shared a folder of files a few days ago. Today I deleted the folder and the underlying files. However, the link still works, the files still show up in the download page, and files are still able to be downloaded. To be clear, the folder and files do not exist locally on disk nor on the original dropbox.com location. I physically deleted them. So they should not be accessible via the shared linked, yet they are. Tried multiple browsers, they're still visible and downloadable.

8 Replies 8

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the Community, @znelson32

Just to clarify, did you delete this folder with its contents via www.dropbox.com and it can now be found in your Deleted files page, but the shared link still works nonetheless?

Also, the shared link that you originally created, was it with edit or view-only permissions? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

znelson32
Explorer | Level 4
Hello,

Yes, I deleted it from Dropbox.com, the local files also disappeared as usual. I didn’t check Deleted Files, didn’t know that was a thing. Nonetheless, when I hit the shared link I still see the folder and files and can download straight from that page. The shared folder was set as Edit perms to some others. I’ve since explicitly removed them. Still, it seems that the shared link should just not work at all even if I’m the Owner.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That’s true, indeed. When a folder gets deleted, then the shared link stops working, as well. 

Is it possible you have a second folder under the same name on your Dropbox account and the link’s connected to it instead?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

znelson32
Explorer | Level 4

No not possible. The folder structure is like this:

Folder A
—>Folder B
———>Folder C (share was here)

I deleted Folder C and all contents but hours later I can still get to them via the share URL. The resulting page shows me all file contents of the missing Folder C. Now when I go to Files, Folder A, Folder B, I don’t see Folder C (and I shouldn’t). But using the shared link I see it all, and can download the files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Alright, let’s check one more thing; if you go to your Shared tab here, are you seeing this folder in the list, along with an option to re-add it to your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

znelson32
Explorer | Level 4
Yes, it’s there along with some very old shared folders from years ago. I didn’t realize there was a shared folders view. Maybe that’s the issue, apologies! If I delete the share it should resolve. I guess the distinction is between the share pointing to a folder or file, and the actual folder or file. If you delete the latter it doesn’t mean the former isn’t still accessible. It’s a bit strange to think about to be honest.

Quan-d-o-n-g
New member | Level 2
I have the exact same issue, it‘s not as expected, nor a great experience and actually puts privacy at risk given it gives a false impression that access has been deleted. In my view this is a bug that needs to absolutely be fixed!

From a security & privacy perspective I‘d even suggest Dropbox adds an option for share link expiration dates for the sharer to give more empowerment to people around their data.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Quan-d-o-n-g, thanks for your feedback on this.

The option to add an expiration date on a shared link does already exist as a feature, however, it's currently available to specific Dropbox plans, along with other shared link permission options.

As for the issue you mentioned, can you give us a few more details?

Are you able to see the folder and its contents through the shared link, after deleting the folder from your account?

Perhaps this is a caching issue; have you tried clearing your browser's cache, to see if that makes a difference? 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Quan-d-o-n-g New member | Level 2
    znelson32 Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?