cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox claiming file is too large

Dropbox claiming file is too large

ssoper
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have an article that is 6.25MB and 3.5GB total space on my account, but when I tried to update the document, I got the following error message:

This workbook has exceeded the maximum size allowed for a workbook stored in this location. While the workbook was saved successfully, you will not be able to re-open it later using the web version of Excel.

To open this workbook in the browser, you must reduce its size. Alternatively, you can open the workbook in the desktop app and save it to your local machine.

My understanding is the limit of our uploadable document is the maximum of our  storage so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ssoper wrote:

I found another article that informed me the limit for Excel spreadsheet files is 5GB ...

5 MB, not 5 GB. This is a Microsoft limitation for opening files within Excel Online, and nothing to do with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @ssoper, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Could you send me a screenshot of the error that you're referring to there?

Also, if you check your current space usage in your account online here, what does it show?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ssoper
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.51.17 AM.png

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your response. The error message is attached.  I found another article that informed me the limit for Excel spreadsheet files is 5GB and mine is 6.25GB so that seems to be the problem.  Since this is a document I share, I'm working with my collaborator to see if we can resolve it otherwise we might just move it to Google Drive.

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ssoper wrote:

I found another article that informed me the limit for Excel spreadsheet files is 5GB ...

5 MB, not 5 GB. This is a Microsoft limitation for opening files within Excel Online, and nothing to do with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ssoper Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?