cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

jeanzbeanz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox installed on multiple devices and they all work fine, except it has suddenly stopped uploading on my windows laptop.

I moved a load of photos off my phone onto dropbox on my laptop last week and only a handful have uploaded.  The icon in my tray says it is syncing 405 files and has 36 minutes left.

It's definitely not a problem with my bandwidth and I have checked the settings to make sure that dropbox isn't set to a low upload speed.  

I have tried pausing sync and restarting, I have tried closing dropbox and re-opening.  I have also tried restarting my laptop and it uploaded 5 files then stopped again.

I am a pro user and have only used 50% of my available space.

Can anyone help?

214 Replies 214

Sven B.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm going on a long holiday and I was thinking about making back ups on a cloud of my Raw format pictures. As those files are big (+/-25mb) you can't take a lot of pics with a 32,64GB SD card. So to be sure to have enough space, I wanted to back up along the way. But that will not be an option, did the test with 63 files of around 27MB Raw format photo files via desktop (laptop)...It takes me 1 hour for only 63 files or 1,7 GB of photos. What if I wanna back up a 32 or 64 GB of photos? That would take days...
Plus, how can you see the exact speed? I only see pics and times left of syncing, but not a speed level. I have a free account. 

Amy G.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm out.  After 6 months of dropbox I can't take it anymore.  This has been my experience on OS X:

• Paid for 1TB Pro Account
  • Uploading 400 GB (mostly iphoto libraries) took 6 weeks.  
  • The desktop app is extremely slow, constantly indexing and syncing even things that aren't being modified or used.
  • Any file I put into dropbox wont be synced for days or weeks because it has such a big queue. 
  • Dropbox is multiplying my disk space used with conflicted copies even though my files aren't open anywhere at all
  • The desktop app is too slow to change selective sync options or pause. It's been "pausing" for 12 hours now

I've tried everything, as most here have.  Dropbox was fine when I had a couple of gigs, but they can't handle the scale of hundreds of gigs and hundreds of thousands of files. 

Kurt S.12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just paid for a 1TB pro account about a week ago and I have been struggling ever since with the slow upload rate (679/KB/sec) even after selecting "Don't limit".   After reading this thread and not seeing any solution for so long, I am considering abandoning dropbox.   Anyone have suggestions for an alternate service?

Graphics Partne
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Even their help page wont load 😞 😞 😞

You suck Dropbox...just wasted my money with the PRO account...moving forward to We-transfer 🙂

Dan A.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Damn... the upload speeds are horrendously slow and DB seems to do nothing

to improve user's cloud experiences.. sad sad sad

Alan M.15
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Trying to upload music and video files and leaving the computer on for days - still taking ages.

I didn't seem to have these problems with the free account, but going Pro seems like a bad mistake on my part.

Still a worrying lack of information from Dropbox on this matter!

Hunter M.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

UPDATE (location: Houston, Texas)

Yesterday I uploaded several GB of files and saw that my upload speed was 955.4 KB/s, which is equivalent to 7.64 Mb/s.

Hopefully this is a sign that Dropbox is actively working to correct this problem.

Wade B.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Literally everything about dropbox has gone to shit. I was wondering if everyone else was having the same problems with how slow and crappy their cloud service has become, and YEP. Did you guys fire like half of your damn employees or something? Or are you just hiring random unintelligent nerds to help ruin San Francisco like all the other tech companies have done? Either way, so long dropbox! Never wasting my time on your crap service again. And please for the sake of us all please fix your damn 'loading' icon. So tired of seeing that non-transparent piece of shit haunt my dreams. 

James C.50
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After finally fixing the issue of files not syncing at all now they're syncing at a snails pace. I also wont be renewing my subscription. 

Jared R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently bought a Synology NAS and upped my Dropbox from free to 1TB, hoping to have local and online backups of my files.  Quickly found that Dropbox was not going to be a solution when I added 120GB of data and after a day it has only synced about 13GB.  Getting about 800KB/2 max upload, wired with my 5Mbps upload connection. Cloud Sync on the Synology seems to integrate well with Dropbox; hopefully it works just as well for Google Drive.  I'll continue to use Dropbox free to auto upload phone pics, and may come back to paid someday if this issue gets sorted out.  Glad I found this thread, it saved me some time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hpzzep Helpful | Level 5
    Kennyjee New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    walwar Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?