cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Dropbox on Mac OS Sonoma) Unable to tell if a file is online or offline without opening folders

(Dropbox on Mac OS Sonoma) Unable to tell if a file is online or offline without opening folders

GuoYunshen72
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I don't remember exactly when this issue occurred for the first time, I think it started when I upgraded my M2 Pro Mac to macOS Sonoma, but it has become a real nuisance. Basically, there's no way to know if files on my Dropbox are offline or online without checking every single folder. Dropbox reports the total potential download size for everything, and there's no way to tell if they are online or offline unless you find the specific folder (or file) which doesn't have the "downloadable cloud" icon.

It didn't work this way until a few months ago: only local folders were showing the occupied disk space (even if I still prefer the old way of having green arrows for offline/local files). I can't believe people are fine with this. Is there anything I can do to change the settings so it only shows actual disk usage?

thank you,

Francesco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GuoYunshen72! Sorry to jump in here. 

This is expected behavior when running the Dropbox for macOS on File Provider app

Besides the "manage hard disk space” feature, you can also tell most of your files/folders are currently online-only by the grey cloud icon with the arrow located next to them. If the files were available offline instead, you’d be seeing a green checkmark indeed. 

I understand why the filesize showing next to them may cause a confusion though, and I’ve passed your feedback over to our team. 

If you need something else though, give me a nudge!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GuoYunshen72 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

When you say Dropbox reports the total download size, could you please clarify where exactly are you seeing this?

Also, could you have a look at this Help Center article and let me know if it helps at all?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there, Francesco. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GuoYunshen72
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, thank you for replying to me. I'm using the desktop app, so I access my Dropbox folder directly within Finder on my Mac. After following your link, I clearly see what the problem is. Dropbox is no longer displaying the usual sync status icons (like the green checkmark for online files).

Previously, there was a green icon when a file was offline, and only downloaded files showed how much space they occupied. This made it easy to tell if a folder contained offline content. Now, it seems like everything is locally stored (even though it isn't - check the attached image), so there's no simple way to identify offline files or folders. The only workaround is to use the "manage hard disk space" menu and pick offline files individually.

And, yes, I've tried to sign out from the app, restart the Mac, and log in again, but Dropbox behavior remains the same...

cheers,

Francesco

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GuoYunshen72! Sorry to jump in here. 

This is expected behavior when running the Dropbox for macOS on File Provider app

Besides the "manage hard disk space” feature, you can also tell most of your files/folders are currently online-only by the grey cloud icon with the arrow located next to them. If the files were available offline instead, you’d be seeing a green checkmark indeed. 

I understand why the filesize showing next to them may cause a confusion though, and I’ve passed your feedback over to our team. 

If you need something else though, give me a nudge!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GuoYunshen72
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

except that Dropbox didn't behave this way until a few months ago. I believe it started with your latest update. Previously, Dropbox never showed the total amount of disk space for a folder. It only displayed the actual space of the files that were locally stored. My problem is that if I have a folder within a folder within a folder (for example, I have a folder for my Pro Tools session, inside it I have a folder for every year, and inside every year I have single project folders), there's no way to know if a folder or a file is offline. I have to check them one by one.

I'm sure this update solves problems for others - I don't think people at Dropbox are fools! - but for me, it's a major setback. 😞

Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Francesco

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GuoYunshen72 Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?