cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders automatically changed to online-only

Folders automatically changed to online-only

Luworth
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox folders suddenly all went to on-line mode and won't sync to mac. Have re-installed the software and have checked that there are no firewall, security, anti-virus or network restrictions. There is plenty of disc space. Can anyone suggest please why the sudden un-requested change and how to restore normal syncing.

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Luworth, thanks for posting to the Dropbox Community.

If you right-click on your files, do you see a "make available offline" option that you can choose?

Does that help sync your files down to your device again?

Also, are you currently using the Dropbox for macOS on File Provider version of the app, with the Dropbox folder in ~/Library/CloudStorage?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Luworth
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much for replying. Have checked both points you raise and unfortunately neither has resolved the issue. Any further advice would be appreciated.  Luworth

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Luworth, thanks for getting back to me.

Would you mind clarifying a bit? Did you right-click on your files and choose to make them available offline, but it didn't work?

What happened instead? Did you get any errors?

If you can also reply to my second question from my previous reply, I would appreciate it very much!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Luworth
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for following up further Hannah. Right clicking and asking to make available offline had no effect (nor did choosing offline under preferences). I tried removing Dropbox altogether from my Mac (quit and then deleted the application and all files) but when I re-installed the app the same problems are present, with all folders available on-line only. Now the dropbox folder is no longer in the sidebar but I can see it be right clicking the dropbox logo at the top of my screen.

Thank you in advance for any further suggestions you may have. Luworth

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Luworth!

Pretty strange that the application is not doing anything; what's the sync status and version of the app when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

When you add/delete files from the Dropbox folder, does the change sync to your account online?

And is your Dropbox folder located in ~/Library/CloudStorage?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Luworth
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Hannah. It is bewildering, especially considering it worked perfectly until the last sync dats (15 Jan) and then suddenly refused to sync anything further to the Mac. Fortunately the files are still accessible on-line, but I would very much like to restore off-line access.

Could it be a virus? I have a clear scan reading from Bitdefender, but perhaps I should invest in something more robust?

The sync status is 'Indexing'.  The sync tab says that the storage is in ../Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Thanks again Hannah. Your continued engagement with this problem is much appreciated.

Luworth

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Luworth - sorry to jump in, but can you please let me know how long has the app been stuck at indexing your files now?

If it's been a while, you can try fixing your hard links and permissions as outlined here

In any case, keep us posted with any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Luworth
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter, that was a good thought but unfortunately did not resolve the problem.

Could it be that I upgraded to the latest version os MacOs 14.2.1? My husband has no problems with dropbox and he is on MacOs 13.2.1.  Maybe 15 Jan was the day I updated the OS, thereby introducing some security problem that resulted in the abrupt change in dropbox behaviour?

Thanks, Luworth

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Did you install the desktop app with admin privileges in the first place @Luworth

Also, did you grant Dropbox full disk access as outlined here

If you did and the app is still stuck, please send us a screenshot so that we can have a look too. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Luworth Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?