cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Alternative to iCloud?

Good Alternative to iCloud?

operator01
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I’m looking to format/erase my iPhone completely, factory restore. I also wanted to do the same for my iCloud. I want to keep some things, but very few.

Is Dropbox a good alternative to backup those things (pics, an app or 2, somedocuments… not much space really)
and is it easy and accessible on the new phone? Any special Dropbox account needed?

Thank you so much!
Kyle

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox wont, and cannot, backup the apps and things on your device UNLESS the app itself has a way of syncing to Dropbox. 

iCloud is the *only solution* to cloud backing up your iPhone in its entirety. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Entenmk
New member | Level 2
Thank you for the reply.
However ,

I do NOT want to back up onto iCloud though. In fact I want all the backup erased. I’m getting a new phone. Starting fresh. Yes, very.

I have some pictures and a couple documents. Certainly there are other solutions to back those up.

Rich
Super User II

@Entenmk wrote:
I have some pictures and a couple documents. Certainly there are other solutions to back those up.

You can manually upload them to your account using the Dropbox app, and within the app you can activate the Camera Uploads feature to automatically upload any pictures you take, but there's no backup option in the Dropbox app like there is when using iCloud.

I'm a diehard Dropbox user but I still pay Apple $2/month for 50GB of space JUST for the ease of the iCloud backups. There really is no better alternative for a backup of the device.

Mark
Super User II

@Entenmk wrote:

Pictures you can do as @Rich said, however, for documents the app itself will need to be able to connect to Dropbox, or, you'll need to be able to do something like email it to yourself/save in files and manually upload. There isnt an automated way to do this.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    Entenmk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?