cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Mac Unable to backup an external drive. No pop-up.

On Mac Unable to backup an external drive. No pop-up.

AkashJewels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I'm on Mac,  and I need to backup my external drive.  and I can't find a way for the dropbox app to "see" the external drive!

1) when I first setup that drive,  there was an auto massage from Dropbox if I want to add it to back up.  I clicked No, as I was still setting setting up that drive.

2) Now I need to back that drive to Dropbox, But I can't find a way to do that ,   I is not showing in the app. [picture bellow].

3) how and where to change the settings so dropbox will see the drive and it will be available for backup?  [I tried renaming the drive but it didn't help.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 10.24.31.png

thanks a lot

Akash 

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AkashJewels, thanks for posting here today! 

Can I ask the capacity and the usage of your external disk, along with the format of it please?

One more thing: can you clarify if the desktop app is running normally when you plug the external drive into the computer in question, and also let me know the version of the Dropbox app there?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AkashJewels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me Megan

you: "Can I ask the capacity and the usage of your external disk, along with the format of it please?"

It a 4tb sun disk extreme ssd , of which 2tb are used for /Time Machine [which I don't need to backup to dropbox]. and 2tb on a separate partition are used for extra storage and I wish to back this one to dropbox [there is less then 500gb of data in there currently ]

You: "One more thing: can you clarify if the desktop app is running normally when you plug the external drive into the computer in question, and also let me know the version of the Dropbox app there?"

it s the new app [with the strange path] and yes it is running normally ...

the thing is, the first time I plugged this disk, dropbox asked if I wanted to back it up.  I said not now,  [as I wasn't sure what I need]. and now I don't get that massage again, and I don't see any place to add the disk!   

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 23.21.49.png

 thanks a lot

Akash 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AkashJewels, thanks for this info.

If you go to your backups page, click on "Manage Backups" and then "Open backup settings", are you able to enable backup for this drive?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

AkashJewels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

No it simply takes me back to the same place in the desktop app and the drive is not showing there.

[I can see in there another different drive that I'm using at this moment for other purpose [I do not want to backup that other drive]

I currently have 2 external drives plugged in.  the one that is showing is the one I don't need.

what else can be done?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 01.17.52.png

thanks a lot

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Can you unplug that drive, to see if that helps the other one appear, Akash?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

AkashJewels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

my initial post was abut only that one drive not showing [while it is the only one plugged !].  

the 2nd drive is showing likely because it has be formatted [it's brand new from dropbox perspective] so it is showing.

what I'm asking please is instruction how to make dropbox forget the drive [the one that needs backup]. so it will re-include it as possible volume to backup !

how to make dropbox forget the drive ?

regarding unplugging the currently plugged drive,   I can do it only after 8 hours, when it will finish transferring files. [that one is not ssd]

thanks a lot

asksh

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AkashJewels, is the external drive formatted in HFS+ or APFS, as you're connecting it to a Mac device?

Next, we will need to try to enable the system warnings on your computer, in case these have been disabled. This could be the issue with the prompt that doesn't appear at all. So, I will need you to click on the small Dropbox icon on the taskbar.

And then, please click on your profile picture/initials at the top right of the window that appears. Next, click on Preferences, and from the tabs at the top, please select the ''Account'' tab.
Once you are in the Account tab, I need you to press Alt Key + H on your keyboard.

Once you "reset file system warning options", please unplug and plug the external drive again, to see if the prompt appears.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

AkashJewels
Explorer | Level 3

you: "the external drive formatted in HFS+ or APFS, as you're connecting it to a Mac device?"

APFS encrypt

I Did the procedure you have recommended,  it unfortunately didn't help.

I'll try to restart the computer and try again later today. 

thanks a lot

Akash 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Give it a go, and let me know if the restart changes things @AkashJewels

If not, we'll continue troubleshooting. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    AkashJewels Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?