cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Revit sync notification on desktop app

Revit sync notification on desktop app

i3dsolutions
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everyone, I am working on  Windows 10, current update, starting this week Dropbox sends me a (red) notification on the tray icon every time I save a Revit file, it says "couldn't sync files".drop.png

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @i3dsolutions, thanks for joining the Community!

Are these files located in a specific folder, or in random locations in your Dropbox folder?

Could you click the Dropbox icon, then your avatar on the top right, and 'View sync issues' to see more information on the error?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

i3dsolutions
Explorer | Level 4

SS.png 

All my files are (neatly organized) in DropBox, never had any issue for years until this past week where only Revit files show the warning.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
What happens if you click the option in the yellow bar to view the sync issues?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

i3dsolutions
Explorer | Level 4

no err.png

Hi Jay, when clicked, it displays this pop up that says "no errors", and then the red warning notification appears in the tray on the next save and so on...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for alerting us to this problem. Dropbox engineers are aware of the behavior and are working on a solution. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

STC-Joe
Explorer | Level 4

Have had the same problems for 2-3 weeks now, but the appearance of the "Couldn't sync..." is very inconsistent. I've never noticed it when a simple data file is saved. A possible clue for engineers: It seems to happen most frequently when I use a portable Chrome browser stored in the Dropbox folder. Could portable app be running scripts or whatever which would temporarily disrupt sync by creating temp files?

Also, depending on their configuration, other apps such as OneNote create temp files or frequent auto-saves to databases that might create sync disruptions that "magically" disappear when the app closes and any locks on files are lifted?

M_Louis
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue and I could relate it to a temporary file that Revit Creates in a folder called Revit_temp and the temporary file is named pulsexxxx.tmp  

M_Louis_0-1669550989979.png

Revit central files are usually placed on a server and accept simultaneous access and save from multiple users which I think Dropbox is not designed to handle. Probably Revit creates these temp files when two users are syncing to the same central file simultaneously to store temporary data until one user finishes his sync and then updates the other user's data. (This is my logic, not a Revit justification) 

Sometimes these pulse files sync and sometimes stop syncing as shown in the snip above, causing this "couldn't sync file" error, and Dropbox gets stuck retrying to sync it over and over again while other files are waiting their turn to be synced. 

If Dropbox is working on a solution to this please find us a way how to keep a central file that accepts simultaneous access and saves by different users, similar to how Onedrive allows simultaneous access and saves to Excel and Word files 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @M_Louis, how are you today?

I would suggest that you either pause sync/or quit our app temporarily, when working on those files. Once you're done with your edits, you can resume.

With another third-party app closely linked to your Dropbox folder, it would make sense to have this inconsistency. 

Let me know if you need anything else. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    M_Louis New member | Level 2
    STC-Joe Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    i3dsolutions Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?