cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared folders not visible on computer

Shared folders not visible on computer after update

sanimation
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,
I have a premium Dropbox account.
The architecture of our Dropbox is as follows:
S
|_ A
|_ B
|_ C
etc.
S is a team folder. Members of S can see all the folders in S on their computers.
The rest of the staff only have access to certain folders in S that are shared with them based on their needs.
Note that we are all using smart sync.

Before the file system update (which happened for us on September 24th), everything was working fine.
When I shared a folder with a colleague, they could see it both online and on their PC. However, since the update, the newly shared folders are only visible online and do not appear on the PC of the colleague with whom it is shared.

I have noticed that there are 2 ways to get around this problem:

• Reinstall Dropbox or wait for an update: this solves the problem for the already shared folders, but if a new folder is shared afterwards, it does not appear.
  • Add collaborators to the team folder S: all folders are accessible online and visible on the PC.

I have already contacted Dropbox support without success.
Does anyone else have the same problem? And could you help me solve it ?

9 Replies 9

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our forum today, @sanimation! Let’s look into this.

First off, can you clarify what system update you’re referring to exactly? That’ll help me understand how this affected the syncing of your folders.

Have you checked your team selective sync settings, and everything’s set to sync locally there? 

Finally, I’d like any ticket numbers you may have from our support team, to go through them, as well. 

Let me know, when you’ve got more updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sanimation
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy,
Thanks for your answer.

I'm talking about this update : https://help.dropbox.com/fr-fr/plans/upcoming-business-team-changes#beforechecklist

I've checked the team selective sync settings and everything is set to sync locally.

The tickets number : Ticket n° 22749512, Ticket n° 22784361, Ticket n° 22775000, Ticket n° 22910274

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that, @sanimation! Can you send me the name of a folder that doesn't sync locally?

Besides that, I’d like you to open your desktop app preferences, and send me a screenshot of what you see on the Sync tab.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

sanimation
Explorer | Level 3

The name of the folder is ZZ - TEST

The screenshot of the Sync tab :

sync_tab.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Perfect! Now, I can see that the default option for new files/folders is to sync as online-only, so your settings seem alright. 

The “ZZ - TEST” folder you sent me, is it absent from your desktop app, or only from the apps of other members? 

If you can’t see it either, I’d like you to open your selective sync preferences (as shown in your Sync tab), and send me a screenshot of how this folder appears in the list). 

Besides that, I’d like the app version and syncing status of your Dropbox app, please.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

sanimation
Explorer | Level 3

I can confirm that I can see the “ZZ - TEST” folder in my desktop app and in my computer. However, the people I have shared this folder with are unable to view it in their computer even if it appears in their desktop app.
For instance I've shared the folder with another dropbox member. As you can see in this screenshot, she can see the folder in the selective sync list :

sync-selective.png
But not in her computer :

dropbox-local.png

The dropbox version is 190.4.6383

The syncing status of my Dropbox app is up to date. 
The same for my colleague, the syncing status of her Dropbox app is up to date.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I was able to go through the tickets you provided above in the meantime, to see if there’s something we didn’t check so far. 

You mention the app version is 190.4.6383. Is it the same version your member is seeing on their desktop app at the moment, as well? I'd like to make sure they're not running the beta version instead.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

sanimation
Explorer | Level 3

Yes it is the same version

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I see. Since there isn’t something evidently wrong from what you’ve mentioned so far, I’d definitely suggest that one of the members who’s having this issue contacts our support team again, so that they may continue with the troubleshooting. 

It’ll be better this way, as our team has account visibility and they can look into their Dropbox account directly to see what’s going on.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?