cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync has disappeared from context menu

Smart Sync has disappeared from context menu

Aegon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In my Dropbox folder in Finder, I right click on a folder/file and I no longer have the option for Smart Sync. Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have tried all of the solutions that I can find throughout this community to no avail. 
- Deleting the cache files

- Uninstalling and reinstalling (Including a restart of the Macbook)

- Restarting the Macbook

- Checking and unchecking the 'save hard disk space automatically' in Dropbox app preferences. 

- I have also looked everywhere in the Dropbox webpage for the 'turn smart sync on' checkbox but it doesn't appear to exist. I imaging this was taken out since the previous posts which mention it.
- There is also no option to check or uncheck smart sync in my app preferences. Nor any mention of smart sync. 

I am running MacOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1.

Dropbox says it is up to date when I hover over the icon (154.4.3932)

I'm really at a loss of what to do next. I've lost a days work trying to sort this out and haven't heard back from support since emailing them. 

I've attached an image of what I see when right clicking on a folder.

Regards and thanks in advance! 

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 20.14.49.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Aegon wrote:

In my Dropbox folder in Finder, I right click on a folder/file and I no longer have the option for Smart Sync. Has anyone found a solution to this?

You still have the options and they're visible in your screenshot. Dropbox has just renamed them in the more recent versions. Local is now shown as Make available offline and Online-only is now shown as Make online-only. They're no longer listed in a separate sub-menu.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Aegon wrote:

You still have the options and they're visible in your screenshot. Dropbox has just renamed them in the more recent versions. Local is now shown as Make available offline and Online-only is now shown as Make online-only. They're no longer listed in a separate sub-menu.

Aegon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I seeee! I just tried it and it worked. I feel so stupid now haha. 

Rich thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. 

You're the best! 

Lynn Bennett
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How do I do this on a Windows system? If you can post screen shots, too that would be very helpful! 🙂

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Lynn Bennett, thanks for the nudge here!

Can you please clarify what you'd like to do exactly?

The options to make a file online-only or available offline, should be there when you right-click on a file in your Dropbox folder.

Is that not what you see on your end?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lynn Bennett
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

DropBox made me upgrade in order for the smart sync to work. I really enjoyed and will miss the free version. LOL!

AggieK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Rich, 

Can I jump in on this issue here too? I too am experiencing this, but I only have 1 of the items appearing under the Quick Actions menu, sometimes 2. But never the 'Make online only' option.

Thanks,
Aggie

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.20.59 pm.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AggieK, how are you today? 

Have you made sure your app is running? What is its syncing status while we speak? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

heikkipekka
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I’d like to understand this clearly:

Has the latest version of macOS and Dropbox app returned the Smart Sync function, where a file I’ve made available online-only is been downloaded in the background if it’s accessed in a third-party app like part of a, lets say an Adobe InDesign file as a link to a JPEG image?

I’ve not upgraded my M1 MacBook Air to macOS 12.3 as this support page still after half a year still suggests Smart Sync feature still IS NOT available in newer macOS versions: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support.

As I no longer find any mention of Smart Sync function on Dropbox website, and that support page suggests the old way of supporting third-party apps no longer work, I’m left with a conclusion Dropbox no longer serves me the way it has, and I have to reconsider any more paying for the subscription.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @heikkipekka, thanks for taking the time to post here.

This concern is only impacting our customers on macOS 12.3 and above.

Any customer that's running macOS 12.3 and below, will still have full functionality of the feature.

All apps should be able to access online-only content as macOS 12.2 devices and below.

And of course, we're currently working on fully supporting macOS 12.3 and above, as mentioned in this article.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    MariaFestli Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    billstangel New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?