cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still syncing desktop and downloads

Still syncing desktop and downloads

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

I am confused and frustrated that Dropbox keeps syncing my desktop and downloads. I have it disabled in the local app and on the web login, yet it keeps happening. I read articles, I deleted the entire app, and reinstalled, and it is still doing it. Can you change this on your end. It is exceptionally frustrating. I don't want these files backed up.

20 Replies 20

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @mdea1a - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please navigate to your backups page and let me know if you're able to find and/or delete your backups from there?

If you do and the issue persists, please send us a screenshot of the app's status so that we can have a look too.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. Yesterday, I tried to delete the backups from the web page you linked. And it subsequently deleted my downloads and desktop files on the computer too. And so I had to restore them. It says that it is unlinked. It says backup is disabled. It said that before I reinstalled per the other instructions in this forum. Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 8.29.52 AM.png

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

Here is the second screenshot of the local app Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 8.37.20 AM.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mdea1a, thanks for the screenshots! 

Based on the info that you shared with us, it seems that Backup is indeed disabled. 

Is your Downloads & Desktop folder both inside Dropbox as we speak? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

Yes and as noted, when I try to remove it, it deletes the files from online Dropbox but also locally on my computer. Hope there is a solution to disconnect it. Here is the screenshot of how it shows in Finder within my DropboxScreenshot 2023-12-04 at 10.23.39 AM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mdea1a, out of curiosity, can you try out these steps, and let me know if you can do this, or if you get any errors? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

When I get to the Account section and hold down option+H (no "alt" key on Mac?) I don't get shown the "Reset OS folder locations" option - instead I get shown three options: Fix Permissions, Fix Hardlinks, or Reset File System Warning options. At the bottom of the screen that pops up, there is also a button that says Add Team Account. I can't get a screenshot as the pop-up that shows these disappears as soon as I release the keys?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mdea1a, interesting. 

Let me ask: do you get any specific errors when trying to move the desired folders from within your Dropbox folder, to the paths they were originally, before you enabled Backup? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mdea1a
Explorer | Level 4

@MeganI don't know how to do that. I don't know the original paths. I don't even know how they got there in the first place, as I never chose to backup these three local folders.

Also, can you clarify, I was seeking an answer to my prior response - as to why what is supposed to show with alt-H (option-H) is not what I am seeing?
When I get to the Account section and hold down option+H (no "alt" key on Mac?) I don't get shown the "Reset OS folder locations" option - instead I get shown three options: Fix Permissions, Fix Hardlinks, or Reset File System Warning options. At the bottom of the screen that pops up, there is also a button that says Add Team Account. I can't get a screenshot as the pop-up that shows these disappears as soon as I release the keys?

Thank you for trying to help fix this issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    mdea1a Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    helpme5 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?