cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended public links

Suspended public links

dejanDB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

i'm dropbox user now since 2012 and never had problem with it. Now 5 days ago (5.1.2023) my public links were temporarily (says) suspended for generating too much traffic.

I read all about it at "https://help.dropbox.com/share/banned-links" and that links should be disabled for 24 hours. In e-mail was saying, that if this was my first suspension, i can remove by clicking "link". Nothing happend, some warning, at it's an error, contact help support.

So i waited and then tried again in day or so. After that (3 days later 8.1.2023) i got another same e-mail for suspension. Since then and till now i didn't do anything else, then removed some files from dropbox. How can i solve this suspension or can i see anywhere till when suspension lasts ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm  sorry for the late reply @dejanDB; are you still  having issues with this?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dejanDB, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify if this is the first time your shared links get banned or if it has happened in the past too?

Did you get an email from Dropbox informing you about this? If so, when exactly? 

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

dejanDB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Hello,

this was the first time and yes i got e-mail on 5.1.2023:

dejanDB_0-1673471290832.png

I waited then day or so, that 24h suspension would be gone. Yet after 3 days on 8.1.2023 i got another same e-mail for suspension. Since then i just deleted some files from dropbox nothing else. If someone want's to access my public links it says:

dejanDB_1-1673473165593.png

Before that it was Error 404 i think.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm  sorry for the late reply @dejanDB; are you still  having issues with this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

dejanDB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

public links seems to work now. I will upload something up now and then at evening someone will try to download.

Question: i have Basic account, that means 20GB of traffic.

dejanDB_0-1673692342104.png

and everything is counting. Is deleting files also included in that traffic (i hope not)?

dejanDB_1-1673692375388.png

And, it would be nice to have some traffic counter (daily) in account when u logged in so that we could track it, or is it visible somewhere?

Daily traffic is counted how (regarding time)?

- from midnight to midnight

- from time when first traffic starts + 24h (for example, 11:40 till next day 11:40)

thanks for all the replies and help

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@dejanDB 

So in terms of what data counts it is ALL shared links, previews of files via links or playing of music/videos on a mobile device or the web etc. So if you have a 2gb video it can probably be watched about 10 times (note that size doesnt always equate to bandwidth).

In terms of the 24 hour window it is a rolling one. So it would currently be (for me) from 11 am yesterday to 11 am now. It will then move as that day goes on. 

Dropbox have previously said they will not put a bandwidth limit in as they dont want people 'sailing close to the wind' and using Dropbox as a content distribution type system as thats never what its been designed for. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dejanDB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Public links and all seems to work again. Thank you both.
"...in terms of what data counts it is ALL shared links, previews of files via links or playing of music/videos on a mobile device or the web etc."
That i understand, my question is, if deleting files also included in that traffic, meaning....if i delete 2 GB of files from Dropbox, is this 2 GB also counted in traffic?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @dejanDB 

No uploading and downloading files via your own account (i.e. at www.dropbox.com/home or the web app / mobile apps) is not included 🙂

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dejanDB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

aahmm, if i understand correctly now

dejanDB_0-1673793975462.png

that referres to other users who use my dropbox? if someone would upload and download files?

So if i upload 2 GB to my dropbox via PC app or mobile, this are not included in that 20 GB traffic? neither if i download it again (as long as i am logged in).

But if i download from public link (that i create)(not logged in), then it is part of traffic.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes so you using Dropbox via the website to upload content (a Word doc for example) would not use quota. You downloading direct for your account while logged in would also not use quota. 

However, somebody else downloading via a shared link would. Or, playing files on a mobile device (streaming) also uses it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

scanner New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    DavidGilad New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?