cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble uploading

Trouble uploading

StuartN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Windows 11 user. When I drag and drop a folder or file onto the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer, the upload fails saying I need permission.

I've tried Windows copy and move, and TeraCopy and TeraMove.

I have my client's primary Dropbox login. I have full control permissions on my own PC.

I can create files in Word and save them to Dropbox.

I can create new folders using the webpage.

I cannot drag and drop files or folders onto the webpage. Nothing happens.

I can upload to some folders on the webpage but some folders have the Upload button grayed out.

I've tried dragging from internal and external drives as well as from OneDrive.

I deleted the app, rebooted, and reinstalled the app.

I've searched here, in the Reddit sub, around the internet, and studied the LinkedIn Learning course, all to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

StuartN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update: I found the solution.

Even though I am logged in using the owner's ID and password, Dropbox still sees my computer as someone the "Team" works with and not a bonified paid user.

The resolution was to go to dropbox.com > Admin Console. On the next page, click Settings, scroll down to Content, then open Top Level Content Management and change the setting from Only Admins to Everyone.

Of course, this is only advised if you trust all team members and "people your team works with" to have this ability.

But, that was the permissions problem. It was not my computer, firewall, virus protection, or modem/router. I could upload to certain folders while I could not even create new folders.

Thanks for your help but, I obviously do not understand how Dropbox works. They seem to have their own interpretation how files should be transferred. It may be a limitation in their structure or coding but, it doesn't work like so many other file systems I use, either local or cloud based.

Since no one else is having a similar problem and I believe my PC is working as it should, then it must be me not understanding Dropbox mechanics. I must say, in the years I've had a personal account, it has never worked to my sensibilities.

I will just keep studying and finding workarounds and hope to someday understand it. I'll close this thread, if I can figure that out too.

Thanks for the help and responses.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @StuartN, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know the exact OS version of your computer and the desktop app's status and version as shown in your taskbar? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing?

As for the issues with the website, could you clear your browser's cache or try another browser and let me know how it goes?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

StuartN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Version 22H2

OS Build 22621.1265

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

32.0 GB RAM

Dropbox version - 167.4.4719

There is no current syncing happening. Items I drag and drop fail and say I need permission.

I am not sure what you mean by status of the app. I am logged in and it appears live on the task bar and says Up-To-Date.

I'll try other browsers for the web page and get back to you.

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @StuartN, could you clarify what you mean by having your client's primary Dropbox login? Are you referring to their login credentials for Dropbox itself?

Are you using VNC or other remote manager software, or a VM? Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

StuartN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Regarding the login, I maintain a web site for a non-profit and login to their Dropbox account using their login credentials. I am logged into their account with the Dropbox app installed on my PC.

I use no remote management software although Team Viewer is installed on this PC. (Set not to start at boot.)

I sometimes use NordVPN but the problem occurs whether it is on or off.

I use Norton Antivirus and it is set to Allow the Dropbox app.

I can create/edit Office documents and PDFs and "save-as" them individually to Dropbox from my PC, no problem.

Comcast/Xfinity is my provider. The cable modem is my own Motorola MT8733, recently installed but I did no firewall programming.

I've never blocked any Domains. Default firewall settings in the modem are set for IPv4 (low) and IPv6 (Enabled).

No events in the firewall log.

The PC is a hard wired ethernet connection.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There is something affecting the configuration of the Dropbox desktop application. Could you attach a screenshot showing the permission error message you're receiving?

Also, regarding the greyed out upload buttons on the site, are these for shared folders or private folders?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

StuartN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update: I found the solution.

Even though I am logged in using the owner's ID and password, Dropbox still sees my computer as someone the "Team" works with and not a bonified paid user.

The resolution was to go to dropbox.com > Admin Console. On the next page, click Settings, scroll down to Content, then open Top Level Content Management and change the setting from Only Admins to Everyone.

Of course, this is only advised if you trust all team members and "people your team works with" to have this ability.

But, that was the permissions problem. It was not my computer, firewall, virus protection, or modem/router. I could upload to certain folders while I could not even create new folders.

Thanks for your help but, I obviously do not understand how Dropbox works. They seem to have their own interpretation how files should be transferred. It may be a limitation in their structure or coding but, it doesn't work like so many other file systems I use, either local or cloud based.

Since no one else is having a similar problem and I believe my PC is working as it should, then it must be me not understanding Dropbox mechanics. I must say, in the years I've had a personal account, it has never worked to my sensibilities.

I will just keep studying and finding workarounds and hope to someday understand it. I'll close this thread, if I can figure that out too.

Thanks for the help and responses.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

StuartN Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?