cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Sharing a Dropbox with others.

Unwanted Sharing a Dropbox with others.

webatbcp_on_db
Helpful | Level 5

I have a situation where I want to share information with the head of three different teams.  However, I do not want these three individuals to see ANYTHING about the others: their email address, their names, locations and even their initials in a cute little colored callout box.   But when I share the folders as a test with my colleague, he sees a note that says the following: "...others will be able to see when you view files in this folder".  I don't want that.  How do I create a secure way of sharing files on Dropbox with other people?  I don't know whether those other people have a Dropbox account or not.  I tried searching the "community" for answers, but the emphasis is on sharing with everybody, not how to be selective. (And by the way, there is a box there (see below) that says "Add to Dropbox".  What does this mean?  I already uploaded the folders to Dropbox.  Is this supposed to refer to the recipient's Dropbox account?  What if s/he doesn't have one?  What happens if one doesn't click on that dialog box?  What happens if one does?)

Web1305

_dropbox_message.jpg 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

webatbcp_on_db
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for answering.  Is there any way of getting rid of the "Share Options" and "Share link"?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@webatbcp_on_db wrote:

I have a situation where I want to share information with the head of three different teams.  However, I do not want these three individuals to see ANYTHING about the others ...

As sharing is meant as a means of collaboration, any member of a shared folder will be able to see any other member. There's no option to disable this.

If you need to share a folder with multiple people without them being able to see the other members, you would need to create a separate shared folder for each person (i.e. multiple copies of the folder, one for each person you intend to share it with).

If they only need view/download access, you can use a view-only shared link. They wouldn't need a Dropbox account and wouldn't be able to see who you've shared the link with.

webatbcp_on_db
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for answering.  Is there any way of getting rid of the "Share Options" and "Share link"?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @webatbcp_on_db, I hope you're doing well!

When you say get rid of the share options, do you mean unsharing the folder itself, or preventing people from seeing info of other collaborators? 

Just asking to make sure I provide you with the correct info there. 

If you meant something entirely different, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    webatbcp_on_db Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?