cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploading photos from phone

Uploading photos from phone

Mie I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I basically got Dropbox in order to move my enormous collection of pictures and videos from my iPhone to somewhere else...The transfer went fine for a while, but then it has stopped and I keep seeing a message saying "waiting to upload". I have quit the application and relaunched, which does nothing. I have even upgraded Dropbox, as I suspect I will need the extra space...

There is still over 400 pictures which are "waiting to upload" plus a few videos. And did I mention I started this process 13th of December...?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

If you are using the Camera Uploads feature , please first check that these requirements are met:

• You have a strong WiFi connection
  • Your device has sufficient battery life available (camera uploads will pause when battery life is low)
  • If you have a free Dropbox account, you have connected your computer to your personal Dropbox account, you have upgraded your personal account to Dropbox Pro

For iOS users:

Background uploading

Background uploading allows camera uploads to finish adding photos to your Dropbox, even if you didn't open the Dropbox app. To enable:

1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Open the Settings menu.
  3. Scroll to the Camera Upload section.
  4. Toggle Background Uploading to On.

Notes on background uploading: Normally, camera uploads only runs while the Dropbox app is open and for a few minutes after you close it. This is due to a limitation in iOS. However, if you turn on background uploading, the app will automatically resume uploads whenever it detects a significant change in your iPhone's location.

For Android users:

Once camera uploads is enabled, the following things happen:

- Dropbox automatically adds eligible photos and videos to the Camera Uploads folder in your Dropbox

- When you launch Dropbox from your phone or tablet, the Dropbox app adds any photos or videos taken since the last time the app was open, or the last time the app was connected to your computer

Note: Camera uploads will only upload photos that are located in the Camera or Screenshots folders of your device's photo or gallery app. If your photos are not in this app then they will not be uploaded to Dropbox.

When you choose Wi-Fi only for Camera Uploads, background uploading will not use your cellular data and will resume when your device connects to a Wi-Fi network again.

Once you have checked all of the above and still are experiencing issues with your uploads, as a first step try signing out and then back in to the app. If that doesn't solve the issue, please remove and reinstall the Dropbox app on your mobile device:

https://www.dropbox.com/mobile

If you keep having issues even after reinstalling the app, so that our support team can investigate and assist you on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know with the ticket number ID you will receive in your mail and we'll be happy to help!

Thank you.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mie I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It says if I delete the app all the content will disappear...But that's just a standard message right?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Local content disappears (e.g. if you've marked things as a favourite)

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mie I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ah, okay. Well, it seems something is in fact still moving, though it's taken weeks to download a very long video...It seems to only be downloading when I keep the app open. Which means I have to watch it as a hawk all the time and keep opening it. Is that really how it should be...?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its restrictions Apple have in place Mie.

You may want to install Dropbox on a computer and then connect the iPhone there where it maybe quicker

Stacy F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why do all of my photos say "waiting to upload" after 3 weeks of having the app installed on my iPhone? I also just downloaded Dropbox on my computer so I'd have access there also hoping that was why they weren't uploading, but none of them are transferring there either?!?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Usually that means you've not connected to a WiFi network.

Stacy F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes, I'm usually connected to wi-fi 99% of the time.

Dan R.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

mine is stuck too, tried everything. sometimes 1 or 2 photos get uploaded then it goes back to saying waiting for upload!

Need more support?