cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mov files changed during uploads to Dropbox

mov files changed during uploads to Dropbox

Rich in KY
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I belong to a forum [Removed as per Community Guidelines] and recently encountered a problem uploading a .mov file to a thread. The file uploaded but there was no video, only audio. I converted the file to .mp4, uploaded and all was well. I checked with someone else on the forum and he was able to upload .mov files and they played; video and audio.

My son sent me the files last year (from his iPhone 12), uploading from his USB-C stick to DropBox. On the phone and stick they are the standard file names but after the upload, DropBox changed the file name to a date/time stamp. I told my son and he thought it was unusual but nothing more. The files played fine on my laptop (Lenovo, 2021). After several tries at uploading and getting the same results I downloaded someone else's .mov file that had been posted. I renamed the file and uploaded it. No problems, the video played fine.

So if the file names had been modified, perhaps the files themselves were modified too???  I have no other explanation and I'm not sure where in the process the names were changed, but my son says they are still the original names on the phone and stick.

Thoughts?

Converted Filenames.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich in KY
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm pretty sure I found out the problem. All the videos my son took are HEVC mpeg-H, a very high resolution. The video I downloaded from the forum is AVC mpeg-4, a lower resolution. The forum must not accept the higher resolution videos. I've sent them a message to confirm.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rich in KY, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Dropbox doesn't alter your video files in any way. As it sounds like you were using the automatic camera upload feature previously, this means that only the file name would've changed.

If there is an issue with the video after uploading to that forum site, then you'd need to contact them for further assistance on their end.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich in KY
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I don't know about an automatic camera upload. My son takes the pics with his iPhone 12, downloads them to a usb-c drive (names are the same on both) and uploads them to Dropbox directly from the phone. (I was thinking he was uploading from the usb-c but that's not correct.)

When I see them the name has been replaced with the date/time stamp. I picked one out and tried to upload to that forum and when it finished there was no video, only sound. I uploaded some others that he uploaded when he got home, from the usb-c drive. Those names weren't changed, but it still doesn't play properly.  I seem to be the only one on the forum with the issue, but I will be contacting them.

I've asked my sons and daughter to email me a .mov file so I can test the upload without having to go through Dropbox, to see if it makes any difference. It's not a big deal for me. It's more curiosity at this point. I appreciate the quick response.

Thanks

Rich in KY
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm pretty sure I found out the problem. All the videos my son took are HEVC mpeg-H, a very high resolution. The video I downloaded from the forum is AVC mpeg-4, a lower resolution. The forum must not accept the higher resolution videos. I've sent them a message to confirm.

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue on your end. If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich in KY Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?