cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I rewind while paused?

Can I rewind while paused?

Steve A.13
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Tens of thousands of files disappeared from my computer after a crash. I don't think it is a virus or ransomware (Defender doesn't report any problems; I hadn't downloaded anything, read email, etc).

I noticed Dropbox was reporting the file deletions on the Sync History page, so I paused Dropbox.

Now I want to rewind to where I was two hours ago. Can I rewind while Dropbox on my PC is paused? Otherwise, I'd need to resume syncing, wait until Dropbox "syncs" all of the deleted files, and then rewind.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can rewind before that BUT it may cause issues so I'd be tempted to wait until it was sorted first. The files should be stored in the local cache so shouldnt need redownloading again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can rewind before that BUT it may cause issues so I'd be tempted to wait until it was sorted first. The files should be stored in the local cache so shouldnt need redownloading again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Steve A.13
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Interestingly, Dropbox reported that the folder was rewound, but it wasn't. My hunch is that the website told the desktop software to rewind, but since the the desktop software was paused, it nothing happened.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Steve A.13, if you pause syncing, rewind will most likely restore just whatever appears as deleted in your account online.

But if you intend to keep using the Dropbox desktop app, it can't remain paused.

You'll have to unpause it, so the deletions will need to sync anyway.

So, I'll agree with Mark on this one; allow syncing to finish and then rewind everything.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Steve A.13
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yeah, that's what I found. I couldn't rewind one folder while Dropbox was paused (for thousands of unwanted changes) on my desktop. I had to resume, wait until Dropbox synced everything, and then rewind all of the folders.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Steve A.13, have the files successfully finished syncing to your device? Do you require any further assistance?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Steve A.13
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

No further assistance required. FWIW, in case others encounter this, rather than having Dropbox delete and rewind all 190,000 files, I restored the files from a separate backup and then restarted Dropbox and allowed it to sync the recovered files. I didn't use Rewind.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve A.13 Helpful | Level 7
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?