cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't copy/paste a photo to a shared folder

Can't copy/paste a photo to a shared folder

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

why can't i copy a photo to a shared folder i own? I get a pop up that says "copying photo" with the choice of "cancel" or "copy" - NO "paste". Folder remains empty. (I tried "copy" - no go)

At first I wanted to move several of them and the move option disappeared, so I tried one at a time, no move, only copy and even that wouldn't work.

Since I want to cull the collection, I tried to download them to work on my Mac and that didn't work either. I got some kind of un-editable pdf instead of a collection of photos.

I'm NOT impressed so far. But I am new, so I may be committing some original sin. I've tried dozens of techniques and the only things I have succeeded in doing is viewing the photos and creating a sharing folder that is still empty.

30 Replies 30

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @robn1, if I were you, I'd use this link in order to download the app from scratch. 

Can you give this one a go?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

Well, that seemed to go smoothly EXCEPT where are my photos? It said there was already a DropBox folder that it wanted to rename but didn't say what the new name would be or whether it would be a separate folder from the new one. Then it opened up all ready to go with a bunch of antique files but none of the new stuff (photos) that I want to work with now. I've looked in what I consider the obvious places and haven't found them.

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

Oh! Duh! desktop vs cloud.  I think/hope I'm good to go. Will let you know.

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, I went to the cloud version of dropbox and clicked on photos like many times before except this time it said "gathering photos" "this might take a while" and I waited a long time and nothing seemed to be happening.  Why would this be any slower than before - is it gathering all the photos from the desktop (which I do NOT want it to do!)? I hate not being clear on what's going on.

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

ARGH!!!!  I accidentally hit the trash can icon at the top of (I think) the desktop DropBox, heard the clunk of trashing and saw 3 instead of 4 items in the list. I do NOT know what got accidentally trashed.  I can't find a trash container except in finder and that didn't show any recent deletions.

Somehow the photos finally turned up but still having trouble with the same behavior. Can't copy and apparently can't download either (at least some of them, haven't tried others)

I am SO confused. Being new, I have no way of knowing if the problem is me or the software or the settings or?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you heard a sound when deleting files, then you may have deleted files from your Mac directly, since the Dropbox site doesn't do any sound when deleting.

If the file was synced to Dropbox, you might be able to recover it from the deleted files page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

robn1_0-1671811303162.png

I finally found the above.  And it (or something) actually asked me if I wanted to retrieve it. But clicking on it did not retrieve it. It is not in my trash bin, it is not in 'deleted files'.  I took the file name "return to Heidi.rtf" and plugged it into the computer search engine and voila, there is was!  BUT with NO info on WHERE it was or came from.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

If there’s no trace of this file anywhere on your Dropbox account, can you also visit your Events page, and let me know if you can see it there as deleted?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

I hope the developers pay attention to these conversations so they can fix things! No, it did not show up in events.

However: I finally found it in "Dropbox (old)" which does not show up in Finder unless you get away from the normal window. It was NOT set up to be found.

robn1
Explorer | Level 3

And where is the Events Page? I got there through your link but can't find any other route to it!

Need more support?