cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Open Excel file and file size is 0 bytes

Cannot Open Excel file and file size is 0 bytes

iuhaq72
Explorer | Level 3

I have a file in my dropbox but i cannot open it. I use to access that almost every month from PC and andriod but today it is giving me error and I notice the file size is also 0 byte....

Need support to recover.

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for posting on our forum today, @iuhaq72!

Can you let me know if you receive the same error message on all Dropbox platforms? 

If you can include a screenshot of the error you receive in this email thread, that’d be great, too. 

Keep me updated.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

iuhaq72
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy, 

Thanks for reply. 

It is the only file having problem, and rest are fine.

Please note the below link to the file:   

Note that the file size is showing as "0" 

Attached is the error, when i try to open on PC. I cannot also open it on Andriod and it does not give me any error but a Black Screen. 

iuhaq72_0-1648107704911.png

File name and Size

iuhaq72_1-1648107755962.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @iuhaq72, sorry to jump in and thank you for the screenshots! 

Can you check the file version history to see if you can find any past versions of this file there?

While you're at it, feel free to take a look at the events page too. The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account, including file events (adds, edits, and deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders. 

PS: I've removed your shared link from your reply, in order to avoid any excessive traffic that might attract for your account.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

iuhaq72
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Megan, 

thanks for your reply. actually i tried to recover and voiw the History of Revisions, unfortunately the last time i edited this file was 13th Jan and at that time i see NOW, the file size as ZERO. 

No previous History available. what you see on the 23rd March, is the tries that i was doing to see if the corruption is related to file extension. 

I believe any revision before 13th Jan (if found should be okay)

iuhaq72_0-1648311107454.png

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately @iuhaq72 if any versions were available it would have given you a choice to restore them on that screen. My guess is that you are a free user and as such its outside of the 30 day recovery window. Even now paying for an upgrade wont enable you to recover it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

iuhaq72
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, so this means nothing can be done ... 🙂 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

iuhaq72 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?