cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox data stolen and deleted

Dropbox data stolen and deleted

ViviP
New member | Level 2

I received emails from unknown people, the content of the email as per below.

< I would like to warn you that if your response regarding your dropbox does not arrive at [removed per the Community's Guidelines] within 2days, we will be forced to delete all your data. Here are a few photos to make sure we have all your information>  ... and my data photo attached 

I couldnt log in to my account, then i reset my password and re login, my profile picture has been changed and my files has gone. 

All my data has been deleted, i have been using dropbox for years, and i have never encountered to this issues. I have contacted the support, asked me to check on my shared folder and event page. So i have checked on the event page, and i saw few of my folder has been shared but in the shared folder theres nothing. In the event page, there isnt any deleted files...... And i dont know where all my files gone!!!!! 

Please help to recover all my files, as i have very important documents there. T.T

18 Replies 18

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @ViviP - sorry to hear about this.

If you've ensured that you're logged into the correct account, there  should be a sign of your missing files in the deleted files page or the events page.

Do you happen to have another Dropbox account perhaps, associated with a different email address of yours? 

As for the email you received, does it come from an official Dropbox domain?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ViviP
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, I only have 1 dropbox account which i have been using for years. Email i received for the warning wasnt from Dropbox official, some random guy just hacked my account without my knowledge (even after i have set up the 2factor verification). There is nothing can be found on the event page. i couldnt even restore back on my own. Eric from Restoration team has replied saying that my data has been rolled back to before the deletion, but all the files were still missing. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @ViviP 

Could you also share your ticket ID with us so that we can look it up in our system? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Logjammin
New member | Level 2

I have had the same situation my data was taken out of my Dropbox account which I’ve also had for many years and a pic with a note requesting I contact a Gmail address or my data will be deleted after 3 days. It’s now past 3 days and it has been deleted. I am shocked at the effortlessness of the breach, how many more customers have had this and what has been done? I need my data back as it has years of important work and personal info. I need assistance urgently here is my cell number WhatsApp is no doubt better than messaging [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

Karen30
New member | Level 2
All my data was deleted by a hacker.
They deleted also the “deleted files”
All my data of all my life was there! I need help!!!

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately if they deleted the files from deleted (i.e. permanently deleted them) there is nothing anybody can do - they are not recoverable via Dropbox. 

You will need to restore from a backup OR if you have computers not yet connected and sync'd to Dropbox use that.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Karen30
New member | Level 2
But rewind qasnt for this kind of case?
“Cloud” isnt replicate the datas for the security?

Mark
Super User II

Rewind only works on deleted files. Once they are permanently deleted they are, as the name said, permanently deleted. 

And yes, Cloud storage is a good replication of your data - so if you replicated it recover it from the original copy rather than the cloud. 

Remember a backup system should have 3 or 4 copies of data across multiple devices/settings/systems. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Logjammin, sorry to hear about that! 

Also keep in mind, that it's far from safe posting your personal phone number, or any other details in a public forum, therefore I removed them for you. 

Do you have access to your Dropbox account at the moment? 

Have you checked the events page, and deleted files page as Walter posted above? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    logjammin75 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    logjammin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?