cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox overwrites new & local files with older versions and generates "conflicted files"-copy

Dropbox overwrites new & local files with older versions and generates "conflicted files"-copy

davidboxer
Helpful | Level 6
I am a dropbox client for many years and have recommended it many many times, but now I'm a bit "irritated" to say least,... please help:
for unfortunate technical reasons i could'nt sync my huge dropbox (256 GB+) for more than 6 mths
but i had a copy on my harddrive, wher ei worked and where, by the time, files were updated, of course, sinc i worked with them... 
i just didn't/couldn't sync
now i m syncing, BUT: ( im terrified: )
dropbox does not realize that it should NOT overwrite newer files on my computer!
It overwrites the current files i had been working on during the last 6 mths, and generates a "...conflicted file..." copy.
i do understand the purpose, but this is totally wrong!!
Now I d be forced to manually rename all the file which dropbox has mistakingly "exchanged",... ??!

I just didnt imagine before, that dropbox would not realize, that aybe a file that was worked on recently should not be overwritten!? I dont get it. 
It should be that the newer file should be kept and the older file (on the dropbox should be aded as a copy (older version file) - it has thus "deleted" 900 files!!!!! on my current system and thus totally kiled my system on which i WORK - i am a webdeveloper and have thousands of files...
Do u have any suggestions?

Also, now i need to find a way to recover the overwritten files (900+) !? Geez

I mean: What in the programmers minds makes them think i would like to replace a newer file with an older version!!? 

This is crazy? Or is there something I don't understand? 
Dropbox should be able to read the timestamp of the newer file on my local drive and realize that it should not overwrite the newer file OR AT LEAST ASK ME BEFORE! 
But instead the "...conflicted file..." - copy should be a copy of the old file, so my current work dont get overwritten. etc. 

Please help 🙂 Thanx!!
17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @davidboxer - sorry to hear about this ( I saw you posted here as well - I'll reply to you here) 

From what I understand,  your computer must have been running the older version of our desktop application and hadn't been connected/updated in some time so when this computer was connected, it added files or folders to match the website.

Can you find this event in yoru Events page and see if you can revert it from there (by hitting the "restore" button - if you see this event logged there that is). 

As for the conflicted files, please take a look here

I hope this points you to the right direction David - do let me know what you find and how this goes. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

davidboxer
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, thanx for answering.

1) My current version is 53.4.67 - it should be the newest. 
So this should not be the reason.

2) we re talking 900+ files, the event page has hundreds of entries. 
I can't even remember which of the 1.5 mio files were (partially automatically) changed in th last 6 mths, so manually restore them is not a helpful idea, nor is the suggestion

3) that i should move files I work on to a different folder. I am not using the dropbox for teamwork in this case, but or backup and access via diff computers myself. I m not a hobby holiday image dropbox user, I got 1.5 mio work files which partially get changed manually, partially when database files get updated by other applications, etc. 

Again: I dont get it: in windows and linux every file got several timestamps, right? 
a) created
b) last modified
c) open, etc.? right? 

Example: How (in the heavens) can Dropbox decide to overwrite a newer file that I modified (and is still open in my editor) YESTERDAY with an old file from December 2017

I mean the Dropbox is integraded into the windows ~file handler system etc. - so how can it confuse these time priorities? 
I had this very same problem on a different computer some year ago, but then I thought i had done sth wrong. But now i was more alert and the same thing happens.... again!  

PLUS: It should at least warn me / ask me (once) if i really want to overwrite newer data with old data. 

I use windows 10 and no, my clock is set correctly 😉 

Thanx for helping 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the elaborate response David ( @davidboxer).

I understand your track of thought here and I'd really like to help with this in any way I can. Therefore, I found your open case within our system and will work on it with the agent currently handling it, if you don't mind. 

The conflicted files created by this process ( sorry to be vague but I don't have a visual of your whole work flow) - are a safeguard to avoid losing any of your data. 

In regards to the large amount of your .mio files just note here is that the performance of our app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer depending highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app of course. 

In any case, I am passing your comments to our dev team as well David - thanks for your feedback. 

If there's anything else I can do from my end to assist further with this, do let me know and I'd be happy to follow up on any inquiry that you might have. Thank you!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

davidboxer
Helpful | Level 6

Well, I am sorry, but how can you say the problem has been solved when I didn't say so? 
I should be the one, that it had been solved. It hadn't nor did i use an old version of dropbox. I am a programmer and I will check those basic questions, of course. 

This has not been solved. It has been cleared though:

Dropbox allowed me to upload 1.7 mio files in 250 GB of a 1 TB budget, but now it can't handle it. Support told me that Dropbox has problems with more than 300.000 files, yet didn't tell me about this before! - I mean, just tell the user : "Warning: you're about to upload more than 300.000 files, this might produce problems, your Dropbox might crash every time(!) you want to start it. " - well, it actually says: "more than 300.000 files, might take a while" - well, believe it or not, after 1.5 years thrugh maybe 30 installations or more and across 3 computers i couldnt get it to run any more, it's starting for hours or even days, then suddenly without throwing an error: crashing. I throwing money out the window, i can't use dropbox basically for more than a year, plus it has overwritten newer data, who pays for that? - Your system just can't handle that many files on a win10, intel7 highend ssd pc notebook, and it seems u can't admit it, or what do i know, since it s not open source. 😞 
In the end, I got a final recommendation to try to download the thousands of folders one by one manually! That's not what I call solved, unless u send my someone to my office to do that for e during the next few weeks (and pay him). You didn't solve anything. Sry. 🙂 
I ll save this answer on a diff. system just in case 😉 

Supporter: "David, ich habe unsere Experten kontaktiert. Es ergab sich, dass die einzige Lösung momentan ist, die  Daten über Dropbox.com Stückweise auf Ihren Rechner herunterzuladen.

"David, I contacted our experts and it turned out that the only solution is to download the data to your computer via Dropbox.com bit by bit."

-speechless-

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping the gun here @davidboxer - I've un-accepted my answer as the best one here and I'll leave this up to you from now on. 

I understand this is not optimal as you'd be needing to download your files/folders in smaller batches as you mentioned and I'll make sure to pass your comments to the team for review as well - thank you for your feedback. 

If there's anything I can do to assist(wish I could come there and help :nerd: )please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bensig
New member | Level 2

I can attest that this also happened to me with a small, but important file. v59.4.93

Edited the file on my computer, saved, reopened to verify it was changed. Attempted to open it on my phone - opening it may have caused it to be "modified" and then there was no revision with the changes I had made.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Initially, are you able to locate any changes relating to this via your events page? Also, are you still able to see the file with the updates in your Dropbox folder? Could it be that the changes didn’t sync across to the website and connected devices? 

Finally, could you please hover over the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock and send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what it reads? 

Thanks in advance! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NeilDrop12
New member | Level 2
Hi, has the overwriting & deleting issue been solved? The same thing has just happened to me.

I re-linked a computer which I had previously had Dropbox on and had to unlink it some time ago as I am able to use only three computers. So I re-linked it about 1/2 hour ago.

Clicked my way though the options and Dropbox offered the same name as before for folder, clicked ok and ... I see that my existing derectory has been blitzed by Dropbox.

All my newer files are deleted and wherein there are files with existing names, Dropbox has replaced with older versions from cloud. I have lost months of work.

Is there a way of rolling this back?

Thanks guys

N.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @NeilDrop12, thanks for nudging us here - welcome aboard!

I'd be happy to help, so I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

When you get the chance, check your inbox and we'll go from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Henri999 Explorer | Level 3
    mevsme Explorer | Level 4
    tannerg3 New member | Level 2
    Vic9948 New member | Level 2
    Yubie96 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?