cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when copying anything from Dropbox (monterey, 2020 m1 MBP)

Error when copying anything from Dropbox (monterey, 2020 m1 MBP)

felipevaz
Explorer | Level 3

Whenever I try to copy a folder from the local Dropbox folder to another folder in my Mac, I get this error:

"The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)."

Does anyone know why this happens? I haven't messes with permissions or anything. Copying from any other folder works normally, and older folders in Dropbox are copied normally, only recent ones cannot be copied.

EDIT: Just as strange, when I compress those given folders, I can move the compressed files outside of the Dropbox folder.

22 Replies 22

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @felipevaz, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What is the current sync status of the Dropbox app? You can hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar to check that.

Also, if you quit the Dropbox app and try to copy the folder again, do you see a different behavior?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

felipevaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, thanks for stepping in. Hovering over the icon says "Up to date", and stopping the app doesn't really help (and forcing quit them via Activity Monitor doesn't help either). I also restarted the computer to no avail.

In parallel, what might be somehow related is that I have an incomplete Time Machine backup (it says it is out of space in the backup volume). I've excluded the Dropbox folder (~/Library/CloudStorage) from being backed up, but not before it started the backup.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @felipevaz, would it be OK if we reach out via email to investigate further at this point? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

felipevaz
Explorer | Level 3

Sure. By the way, the Time Machine backup completed normally, but the problem persists.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the cooperation @felipevaz - you've got :envelope:

Whenever you get the chance, please have a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DolphinU1
Helpful | Level 7

I'm having the exact same problem.  Because of the changes to Dropbox recently, I no longer feel like I can trust it like I used to, so I started making backups.  When I try to copy the entire folder. I will get "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062).

In previous versions, when the Dropbox folder was not stored in the Library I never had these problems.  Presently, I'm trying to copy small groups of files in Dropbox. Most of the files will copy OK. Obviously, this is extremely time consuming and tedious. I miss the earlier Dropbox. 

I am using Mac OS 12.6.1 on a Mac Pro

DolphinU1
Helpful | Level 7

Well, I have some additional information that allowed me to complete the copying. 

After copying files in small pieces I found the problem file. It was some kind of a database for an oscilloscope. The file ended with .db, this document does not run on a Mac anyway. I deleted it.  Hopefully next time when I back up, I'll have smooth sailing. It's really a shame that the Mac OS can't report the file it’s having trouble with, instead it just chokes and gives an error code which is useless for the average user.

donbraffitt
Explorer | Level 3

I have this same problem on macOS 12.6 since I upgraded to the Dropbox version which uses the CloudStorage folder.

I cannot successfully copy the CloudStorage folder when I backup my files. I can copy the individual files that are within the CloudStorage -> Dropbox folder.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @donbraffitt, hope you’re doing well. 

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error message that you keep getting? 

Also, what’s the exact app version of your Dropbox app?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

steve626 Explorer | Level 3
    JeremyN New member | Level 2
    Stan Haag New member | Level 2
    Motomoto New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?