cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to permanently delete files or empty your trash bin without waiting for 30 days

How to permanently delete files or empty your trash bin without waiting for 30 days

Jesse D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This actually works and I added a few things to clarify.

Per Mark Mc (SUPER USER):

Completely ignore that Trash folder.

• Go to the link I gave (www.dropbox.com/home)
  • There navigate to the folders where your were files are that you want permanently deleting 
  • Click on 'Show Deleted Items' - at the top, its a little trash can
  • That shows, in grey, your deleted items. 

At this point you will see all deleted items in all folders of your Dropbox mixed in with your active items.

• Click on one so it highlights, not the name of the item but the blank space after it.
  • Press 'Permanently Delete' listed at the top.
  • If you want to delete a batch, use the SHIFT or CTRL plus the mouse to choose or un-choose what you want to delete. For example, I clicked the top item and then scrolled down to the bottom and pressed SHIFT while clicking the last item. I could have permanently deleted everything but I need to remove the choosing of several items. For that I pressed CTRL and clicked each item. Then I clicked 'Permanently Delete' listed at the top. I had to do this within each folder to delete everything I wished to remove permanently. It is a pain but it is better than nothing.
22 Replies 22

Paul S.118
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a large number of deleted files that i need to permanently delete to recover space. Many are in folders and subfolders. I followed everything here, but no method lets me select all, only to permanantly delete one at a time. Windows 10, Chrome. That will take hours, surely there is a way to 'select all'

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You dont Paul - deleted files DO NOT USE QUOTA.

So, if you are over space ignore what is already deleted because it WILL NOT use up the quota.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Paul S.118
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We'll, the amount of space it says I have used did not decrease after deleting a large number of files, some of them large enough to matter.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Then something else is using the quota, because as I said, deleted files do not use the quota.

In any shares? If so it could be that they are eating up your quota as soon as you delete things

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Paul S.118
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think you were right, as son as one thing was deleted, the next file waiting to sync must have been replacing it and so on until I finally got enough space for all to be OK again. 

drgs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have two Dropbox accounts (linked), which I can view online. For my personal account I can permanently delete as described. For my corporate account, the "permanently delete" option is missing, only "restore" is visible in the same menu. The files are not shared, only I have access. What is this about?

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @drgs,

It sounds like the team admin of your Dropbox Business account has limited the ability to permanently delete content to team admins only.

Thanks!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

drgs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Zed wrote:

Hey @drgs,

It sounds like the team admin of your Dropbox Business account has limited the ability to permanently delete content to team admins only.

Thanks!

So, will it be deleted after 30 days?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If you are in Dropbox Business drgs they have varying levels of retention depending upon which plan they have varying from never being removed, to a year or 4 months.

You'd need to ask your admin which one they have.

becalash
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much it helped

Trevor Dsa

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ilming New member | Level 2
    becalash New member | Level 2