cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete a folder as I'm not the administrator

Can't delete a folder as I'm not the administrator

lunalunare
Explorer | Level 4

I have a folder that is in my virtual space, but the administrator is a person who no longer exists. So I can't delete that folder from my space because I don't have the permission as administrator. What can I do to free up that folder from my space?

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lunalunare, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting so that we can have a better look?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lunalunare
Explorer | Level 4

@walter

Well now the problem I have is bigger, but hey, I'm going to think that nothing happens. Let's say I have a series of files that are in a vacuum, browsing in nowhere, without having been deleted. It occurred to me to go to the Shared section and I deleted the folder I wanted to delete there. I have deleted it from my virtual space, but the files continue to exist and since there was a link shared with the public, some photos are still visible. Now I have no way to go back and remove that shared link. I don't know how to get in touch with the owners of Dropbox, so that they delete that entire folder with its files, since I was initially the administrator, then I gave that privilege to a friend, but this friend no longer lives... with what that it is impossible to delete it... Only the Dropbox manager can delete it.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lunalunare, sorry to jump in here! 

Can you clarify if you're using an individual account, or a Team one? Since you weren't the owner of the shared folder, deleting the folder would still keep it shared with any existing members. 

However, since you removed it, it should no longer take up space in your Dropbox account; which was your initial concern. If you want to permanently delete it, then I'm afraid that the only person able to do it, would be the owner of the shared folder. 

If you wish to add it back, can you check your sharing tab, to see if you can find the folder there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lunalunare
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan,

Let me explain, it is an individual account, that is, totally personal. Initially I created a folder for myself and a friend, I was the owner, but then I made the mistake of giving my friend ownership. This friend unfortunately no longer exists. And that folder stayed inside my user, without being my property.
Currently I removed it from my space, but I couldn't delete those public links that I had to see the content of those folders. The point is that now those files are drifting and if someone accesses those links they can see the content, which is private, that's why I demanded that the Dropbox administrators delete it, since it is impossible for me and there is no way to contact with them, with the owners of the Dropbox site. I'm trying to report it through the link to those files, which I still have, but they ignore it.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lunalunare, were you the one that created these shared links, or the owner? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lunalunare
Explorer | Level 4

I'm starting another new post here, because the system won't let me answer this question from @Megan:

--------------------------------------

Hi @Megan,

Let me explain, it is an individual account, that is, totally personal. Initially I created a folder for myself and a friend, I was the owner, but then I made the mistake of giving my friend ownership. This friend unfortunately no longer exists. And that folder stayed inside my user, without being my property.
Currently I removed it from my space, but I couldn't delete those public links that I had to see the content of those folders. The point is that now those files are drifting and if someone accesses those links they can see the content, which is private, that's why I demanded that the Dropbox administrators delete it, since it is impossible for me and there is no way to contact with them, with the owners of the Dropbox site. I'm trying to report it through the link to those files, which I still have, but they ignore it.

"Hey @lunalunare, were you the one that created these shared links, or the owner?"

------------------------

I create those shared links

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lunalunare, if you access your link tab here, can you see any of them?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lunalunare
Explorer | Level 4

I'm starting another new post here, because the system won't let me answer this question from @Megan:

--------------------------------------

Hi @Megan,

"Hey @lunalunare, were you the one that created these shared links, or the owner?"

I create those shared links

Hi @lunalunare, if you access your link tab here, can you see any of them?

------------------------------------

Hi again @Megan,
I have accessed the folder of all the links that I create and that are public, because they are in the public folder, in your here. But the photos that I shared in the unfortunate folder in which I was not the administrator, that is, that alphanumeric link is not in that one here and obviously I cannot put it in this community, because then I would be making it more visible. And I'm having a hard time talking to you, @Megan, because I have to open a "New Message" in the community. Isn't there a way to communicate with you in private? The only way to solve my problem is for someone to delete those photos or destroy that alphanumeric link that I created.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lunalunare, if the links contain content against our terms and conditions, you can report them to abuse@dropbox.com.

Regarding replying on the community, what error do you get if you click the reply button at the bottom of the thread?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    lunalunare Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?