cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit a shared file with Excel Online

Unable to edit a shared file with Excel Online

pb59
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I shared an Excel file with someone and until last week, he could edit this file with Excel Online without problems. But for a few days, this option is no longer visible.

I checked the file, and he is still a member and have the rights to edit the file.

There seems to be a bug with dropbox itself, see for yourself : I tried to reproduce the error and I searched within my personal files in the menu "Shared" -> "Links" (by the way, the links listed are not shared files... but anyway...).I found 1 Excel file which have the same problem :

- when I click on the three dots on the right, I don't have the menu "open with..."

- when I click on the name of the file, it opens on a new tab, directly in Dropbox, and I don't have the menu "open with"

- when I am in this new tab, on the file, when I click on the arrow next to the blue button "Share", the submenu of this button loads, but there is also new options that load, and here appears my "open with" menu !

So in my opinion, there is a bug with the app. This is clearly not the expected behavior.

The only problem in the meantime is that the person to whom I shared the file with doesn't have the blue button "Share", and I didn't find any other button to trigger the loading of the menu...

What do you think ? Did anyone have the same problem ? Have you found a way to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

25 Replies 25

Minna96
New member | Level 2

Thank you, from there I can edit! 🙂

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That’s great to hear! The “Edit” button above is mostly used to edit PDF files on the Dropbox website. 

If you need something else though, don’t hesitate to nudge me!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cpma
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having this issue - shared folder, members cannot edit Excel. Even I can't (I'm the owner). 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cpma, sorry to hear that.

Can you let us know a bit more about the issue you're having?

For example, are you and the members of the shared folder all using the web as well or iOS/Android devices?

If you're using the Dropbox app, are you all on the most recent version of your OS and the Dropbox app?

Can you also send us a screenshot of any errors you're getting?

Thanks.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

cpma
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I use Chrome on a Mac and a PC. I do not know what others are using, but I can ask. There is no error message. You just can't edit. You'll see the cell number when you try to click into a cell to edit. shows cell instead of letting you type.JPG

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update, @cpma.

Can you also confirm if you've tried different browsers or a private browsing/incognito window, to see if the behavior is different over there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    cpma Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?