cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I upload files to my Dropbox account?

Why can't I upload files to my Dropbox account?

JoeBrennnan226
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have used dropbox for years, I believe a new version was just installed and now I can't upload files. A simple video clip 848MB. It comes up Error and lost connection. I have internet connection so it is not that. I restarted computer but still does not work. I deleted old dropbox files, and still no go. If I use the basic installer it says it is too large, Can someone help.?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @djfrankief,

Let' s check on some things together:

1) Make sure you have configured your Antivirus/Firewall software to allow Dropbox to run.

2) Make sure you are not running a Beta version of the Dropbox app :

1. Log in to www.dropbox.com using your web browser.
2. Click on your name at the top right corner of the page.
3. Click on "Settings".
4. From the "Profile" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.
5. Then download the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application. Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

3) Check for incompatible file names -  You can use Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage here to determine which files are not syncing due to incompatibilities:

4) If you made sure all of the above are configured correctly, please raise a ticket with our support team providing the context of the issue so that we can check what's going on.

Let me know if you need further help!

Thanks!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Kristan J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to upload a folder and they show up but aren't uploading. Icons aren't spinning and staying blue. Is the system down? Help

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, Kristan...

I'm not experiencing any problems whether I use Dropbox's website interface or their desktop client so it's not happening to everyone.

All folders and files that are in my computer's Dropbox folder are synced and can be viewed while logged-in through the website interface.

• How much storage space does it show when you look here (eg: 1 GB of 2 GB used)?

I can access the website interface using:

HAVE YOU READ THE HELP CENTER ARTICLES BELOW?

iulian t.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm also having trouble in uploading some jpeg files to Dropbox. The status is always "sync in progress" with that spinning blue icon.
On my side it looks like the file is uploaded over and over. Strangely, a different type of document ".doc" works without problems.
I've tried the suggestions from the help articles but no luck.

L. Eva
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can not upload an excel file to dropbox.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Eva

What error are you receiving?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

felicia s.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is my first time using dropbox, and I want  to upload my files. I can upload all of my doc. files, but I can't upload my pptx. files. When I try to drag my power point to dropbox, it just let me to download that file.

Do you know why?

p.s. I'm sorry if my English is bad.

Leslie B.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've been trying to upload a file all morning and about about 10 minutes and maybe 40% of file being uploaded, I get an error. Just says file can't be uploaded.

I've tried several different files, and all the same result.

JohnDropbox
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Leslie, it sounds like you are trying to upload files through the Dropbox website. If you are having issues uploading on the website, try uploading using the Dropbox desktop application instead. 

The Dropbox desktop application can handle files and folders of any size or number and is the preferred method of uploading files. You can read more and find a link to download the application here:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/desktop-application-overview

For more information on how to add files using the Dropbox desktop application, please visit:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/add-files

Behavioral C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I  can't upload any files from mac OS10/9.5 via the web uploader.  Tried every browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) Tried multiple files (xlsx and docx and doc and docx).  Tried advanced and basic uploader in all browers.  File is 20.1 MB.  In Basic uploader I get an error 500 message.  In advanced uploader I just get an error that it couldn't up load but not error number

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Snow P. New member | Level 2
    Cristian G.2 New member | Level 1
    Kareem D. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?