cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err_connection_refused

err_connection_refused

Nosbags
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Can’t seem to connect to Dropbox at all using multiple different browsers and in private /incognito mode. Keeps saying refuses to connect.
Have added Dropbox.com to trusted sites in settings, uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox program and browsers. Have also made sure no proxy settings are active along with making sure the program is allowed access. NOTHING WORKS!!!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kristo34
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It works, thank you! I just deleted the host file and it started working.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc into the Run window and click OK.
  3. Delete hosts file .

View solution in original post

64 Replies 64

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Nosbags ; welcome to our Community! 

I'm assuming you're on a mobile device; is this correct or you're seeing this on a desktop device? In any case, could you let me know its OS and the version of our app as well? 

Also, if it's not too much too ask, could you try another wifi network (or via cellular data) and let me know if you get any different results? 

While we're at it, what browsers did you use so far?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Nosbags
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Walter,
Posting this on my phone as I can’t connect through my desktop to post.
The desktop app version: 109.4.517 and that connects perfectly fine.
It’s my browsers that refuse to connect for an unknown reason and it’s through our LAN Ethernet cabling, no wifi. Internet works perfectly fine for every other website. Browsers I’ve used are Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
All working from a Windows 10 64 bit operating system

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Nosbags, it definitely sounds like the site is being blocked. There is a possibility that a VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

The fact that you had to connect via a mobile device on a different network presumably (since you mentioned there's no WiFi) is the evidence for this.

Since you mentioned 'our LAN' are you on a work network? Have you checked with your IT admin on this matter?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nosbags
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Jay,
I can connect using a different computer on the exact same network. My phone is connected to the same network using the wifi, and all connect just fine. Its purely isolated to my browsers/computer. No idea why especially when all other website traffic isn’t affected in anyway.
Have also made sure ether site isn’t blocked in the browser too.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you please check if there are any pending updates for your browsers, @Nosbags?

If they are fully updated, I can suggest reinstalling the browser or restoring the browser to it's default settings to see if that helps.

Should the issue persist after trying the above, please let me know which versions of the browsers you have installed.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

captainbianco
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I'm having the same issue and "reinstall the browser" is such a lazy answer. The likelihood that somehow all of the browsers on my computer need to be reinstalled just defies logic.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you had the chance to try out the other steps listed here too @captainbianco?

Reinstalling was suggested as the issue was narrowed down to a specific device, while others on the same network had no issue connecting. 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nosbags
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Daphne,

I deleted and reinstalled both chrome and edge before posting and installed brand new Firefox with the exact same issue.
Chrome version: 86.0.4240.198
Edge version: 86.0.622.69
Firefox version: 83.0

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'd recommend looking in every app on your machine, to see if there is any antivirus software that you had previously uninstalled, to ensure it was fully removed, including all their extra services.

There are certain apps which can cause this issue, so it has to be something on the machine which is preventing your connection.

Do you have the app preferences set to 'no proxy' or 'auto-detect'? Try switching them around if need be.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mmaslov New member | Level 2
    Zer1 Explorer | Level 3
    AmBen New member | Level 2
    ingeborgdot New member | Level 2
    Billy015 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?