cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Dropbox on Ubuntu 20.04

Unable to install Dropbox on Ubuntu 20.04

Xavier-G
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

With this morning updates on beta version of Ubuntu Focal (20.04), system uninstalled Dropbbox because it updated package libpango.

So I downloaded the new deb package on Dropbox site, and saw that it was a new version from 4th March 2020, good !

But installation failed :

sudo dpkg -i dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb

dropbox depends from libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.36.3) ; but:
Package libpango1.0-0 is not installed

But it's well present :

libpango-1.0.0-1.44.7-2

Please could you update your installation package ? Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Xavier-G,

The issue comes from fact - corresponding package name seems got changed (probably temporary). As a workaround, ignoring dependencies, you can "install" the package by hand (suppose all needed libraries persist), copy contained files on the corresponding places. :wink:

Good luck.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Xavier-G; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

It seems like the operating system you are running is not currently a fully tested or supported environment for the Dropbox desktop application (from what I gather, it will be out officially on the 23rd of April, 2020). You can see a list of our system requirements here:

While we support a variety of operating systems, we are unable to support these versions until they are officially classified as stable.

I'm sorry I can’t provide support for our desktop app when run on an unsupported operating system and I'll make sure to pass your comments on to our dev team.

What I'd suggest, for now, is to keep an eye on our system requirements page for updates about new supported operating systems.

I hope this clears things up and I'm always around if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Xavier-G,

The issue comes from fact - corresponding package name seems got changed (probably temporary). As a workaround, ignoring dependencies, you can "install" the package by hand (suppose all needed libraries persist), copy contained files on the corresponding places. :wink:

Good luck.

Xavier-G
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your help, yes it seems due to a a problem of package name, but it has been identified and should (I hope) been resolved soon :

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/focal-changes/2020-March/016186.html

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Just launch:

sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=libpango1.0-0 -i dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb

Xavier-G
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It works, thanks a lot for your help ! :grinning:

And no need to reconnect nor re-do all the synchronization (I don't use the default folder), all was still registered, perfect.

Durin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I't not a temporary change. In Debian the package libpango1.0-0 was changed to transitional package in 2013 which depended on libpango-1.0-0 and now the transitional package has been dropped from the archive.

Dropbox should change the dependency to libpango-1.0-0

https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/pango/-/blob/debian/master/debian/changelog

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Durin,

Yes, You are absolutely right; that what you say is upcoming bug (if Dropbox won't take care, as usual)! Let hope this time the status won't be broken application and after that some action, but... we will see.

Just to note, the topic was about something related (somehow), not the same! So the discussed change is temporary (most probably).

Anyway... Good warning!

afolarin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

https://manjaro.site/install-dropbox-on-ubuntu-19-10/

fix libpango dependancies with 

sudo apt-get -f install

shmu26
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

This issue still has not been fixed on Ubuntu 20.04 despite its official release.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

flabdablet Helpful | Level 5
    N3m3si5 New member | Level 2
    shmu26 Collaborator | Level 8
    afolarin Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?