cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has two entries in my PC Startup - Why?

Dropbox has two entries in my PC Startup - Why?

Jerald E.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Some of my computers have two startup entries for dropbox.  If you open Task Manager - Startup, there are two things using PC resources at startup.  The first one appears as "Dropbox (3)."  That is the one I am used to seeing, which should run at Startup.  But the other is "Dropbox Update (4)." Why is this second thing in my PC startup?  I have the same Dropbox installed on several computers.  None of the desktop computers have this "Dropbox Update" running in the computer startup processes.  But all three of my laptop computers have both Dropbox entries running at startup.  Why?  I would like to eliminate unnecessary startup processes to help computer performance.  Why would laptops have this extra startup for Dropbox Update?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gaspeer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I received this support response to my support ticket last month. I didn't think to post it here, although I think I alerted the support person who sent me this answer of this forum discussion and thought he might share this information. Short answer to these questions regarding multiple Dropbox instances -- it's normal. Longer answer, I will cut and paste this information from Dropbox support:

Frank, Aug 8, 6:54 AM PDT:

Hi Garold,

Thank you for contacting Dropbox!

I can confirm that it is expected to see multiple Dropbox processes in task manager when Dropbox is running. The Dropbox application needs these additional components to monitor that everything is running correctly and that the desktop application is always healthy and up to date. The additional processes should consume a negligible amount of CPU and memory resources. If they are causing any performance issues on your computer please let me know.

Thank you for reaching out with this query, I hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank

Hope that support info will be helpful to others finding this discussion!

Gary

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

DanaB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My HP Pavilion laptop running windows 8.1 appears to be running 4 instances of "Dropbox Update" upon startup. What's going on?

Jodi S.3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mine shows 3 instances of Dropbox but no Dropbox Updates. My husband's shows 2 instances of Dropbox and 3 updates. Have you figured out why this is? 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all,

We would like to take a closer look at this. If you don’t mind, please write in to us here http://bit.ly/2iahyK0 so an agent can get some more information from you, and pass this issue on to our team for investigation. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Matt21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd like to jump in on this if I still can.  I've got three instances of Dropbox listed in the Startup tab of my Task Manager (Windows 10, 64 bit), and my system is slow to start.  I'd love to find a way to speed it up!

troyerj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Jumping in here as well - I have three showing up.  I followed the link above and submitted a help request but wanted to get on this thread for follow-up posts

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @troyerj

Welcome aboard, let's work on that together!

I’ve located your open support ticket and my colleague has been awaiting your email back so that you troubleshoot together. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for their message and let me know if you have any issues locating the reply, so that I make sure that you receive it again. 

I hope this gets resolved soon, wishing you a great weekend ahead! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

marsman82
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. Can you help me out?

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey everyone, 

We’ll keep this thread open for future updates, but I urge you to submit a support ticket so that our team can continue to investigate this issue. 

Thanks in advance! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

troyerj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Done!  Thanks for the fast response!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    acshelton New member | Level 2
    miss_fiendish Explorer | Level 4
    ACC0416 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?