cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit then and SAVE (not save as!) Office documents on Android. Please help.

Can't edit then and SAVE (not save as!) Office documents on Android. Please help.

ExasperatedUser
Explorer | Level 4

I'm not a tech guru, but not a complete newbie either.

I have the standard free Dropbox (140.4.1951) on my Windows 10 laptop (all automatic updates).
Dropbox app on my Samsung S10e (running the latest version 12).

Office app (all in one) on my Samsung.

I also have (as a test just now), the Word standalone app.

TEST 1

I opened the Dropbox app on my phone. I could see all my files. I opened a Word doc using the Office All-In-One app. I made a simple edit. I could not save the edit unless I chose 'Save as'. I didn't want to Save As. I wanted to edit my Word document, save the changes and then open the file on my laptop.

TEST 2

I opened the same Word doc using the standalone Word app. I was asked to login to Dropbox to complete the pairing with Word. To my surprise, the edit option was greyed out.

TEST 3

I opened the same Word doc using the Office All-In-One app. For some reason the edit option which appeared before is now greyed out.

What am I missing? I've searched forums, checked settings, all to no avail. Please help.

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @ExasperatedUser, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional accounts can edit for free, however you'll be asked to sign in with a Microsoft account.

On Android devices, you'll be able to edit without signing in for some time, but eventually a Microsoft login will be required. Dropbox Business accounts will need an Office 365 (Business, Business Premium, ProPlus, E3 or E4) subscription in order to edit files.

A Microsoft login is also required when opening the Office apps directly to access your Dropbox files there.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you're still having issues with editing after logging into your Microsoft account on your Android device. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ExasperatedUser
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter
Thanks for your reply.

I have an Office 365 subscription. When I open the Office All-In-One app on my phone, I am logged in to my Microsoft Account. The same applies when I open the standalone Word app, logged in. 

Neither app allow me to edit anymore. I don't understand why.

Am I correct in assuming that the process is meant to be this?

Open Dropbox app.

Navigate to desired Word document.

Open Word document.

Edit document.

Hit save - file saves changes in original location within Dropbox. There is no need to save as or navigate through my folders and then overwrite the existing file.

I'll keep searching for clues.

ExasperatedUser
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter
Another question based on the link you kindly provided...

Is editing MY document from MY PC on MY phone considered co-authoring? Do I need to move my entire Dropbox into a shared folder so I can edit documents on my phone? That seems absurd.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @ExasperatedUser, the steps you provided are correct for editing Word files on your account. You wouldn't even need to save manually, since Word would autosave every few seconds. 

The file doesn't need to be in a shared folder, it can be in a private folder. Just to clarify, the edit option you're mentioning is the pencil icon in Word? Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're describing in order to assist further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ExasperatedUser
Explorer | Level 4

You are correct Jay, the pencil icon was greyed out. 

I ran some more tests today, without having changed anything.

The edit options were active. If using the Word app I can edit and the autosave function works correctly. Edits are visible on my laptop. If I use the Office all in one app, autosave is not available. I can still edit the document, however I must overwrite/replace the original document to save the edits.

When testing Excel, the standalone app now allows editing and auto save. The Office all in one does not, as per Word files described above.

I have no idea why this is, but some success is better than none! I am pleased that password protected files open successfully. 

I'll share updates as things change - assuming they will ha ha.

ExasperatedUser
Explorer | Level 4

UPDATE - good enough for now.

The Office all in one app still isn't working. I've deleted the app and will use the standalone Word and Excel apps which work fine.

Password protected files are working fine. This wasn't possible last time I tried Dropbox with Office apps (I don't remember which side the limitation came from).

Some older files would open fine in Compatiability Mode on my laptop, but wouldn't open on the phone. They were .doc rather than .docx I updated those few to .xlsx and .docx and they are now fine.

As to why the other issues occured, I still don't know - but it works well enough for now. 

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ExasperatedUser Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?