cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open protected Word document

Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open protected Word document

eastpaw
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. I've had the same password protected Word doc in my dropbox for years now.

On the same Android device I've been using for years as well, I am suddenly unable to open that file. When I try, I get a "File type not supported" error.

1. There is no "open with" option. There used to be one.
  2. I have tried reinstalling, wiping cache and data, etc - Dropbox app as well as Office and Word apps.
  3. I have tried unlinking and linking Office and Word to Dropbox. On my device as well as on the web.
  4. I have tried saving the file to device.

There is nothing wrong with the file.

1. I can open it just fine from Dropbox PC.
  2. I can also open it on my phone from the Word app.

When I try to open a non-protected Word doc, I get a preview. And only then does an "open with" option appear.

Solutions desired:

1. Setting Dropbox Android to open Word docs in the Word app by default rather than trying to give me a preview.
  2. Also, reinstatement of the "open with" option outside of doc preview. (This has completely disappeared for all my Dropbox files, not just this one.)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jereunderwood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After struggling to figure out what I would do since Dropbox was now saying that one of my very essential files could no longer be opened on my Android phone because this Word document was encrypted in Microsoft Word, I accidentally discovered that the problem can easily be solved if you simply ignore the message "File type not supported" and click on the vertical three-dot-menu at the top right of the screen and then select "Open with..." Then choose Word to open the document and all is exactly as it used to be. The message "File type not supported" should definitely be changed to avoid this confusions.  

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Franco52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If I try to access a write-protected word document in Dropbox web, the system says the password is incorrect (and it's not true). If I log in from the app no problem, apart from the one, reported a few days ago, for which a password-protected word document is not even opened in Android app: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Integrations/Dropbox-on-Android-suddenly-unable-to-open-protected-Wo... ).

Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Franco52, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you having this issue only with MS Office files or other types of password protected files as well?

Have you tried through a different browser or a private browsing window, to see if that helps?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @eastpaw, thanks for posting here! 

Which Dropbox version do you use on your mobile? Have you taken a look into this Help Center article, that explains how you can set your Office app as the default app for opening files?

As for your "open with" request, is it still missing from all of your files? Can you send me some screenshots, in order for me to have visual too?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Franco52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you. I tried to log in with Firefox or Chrome, but it is the same thing. I tried with a protected .pdf document, and there is no problem!

Best regards.

jereunderwood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having exactly the same problem, Like Megan, I have been able to do this in the past for years.

jereunderwood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I meant to say I am having the same problem as Eastpaw. I must find a solution for this problem or I will have to stop using Dropbox as I depend on it to house many Microsoft Word encrypted files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jereunderwood, sorry to hear about this.

Could you please let us know the exact OS version of your device and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there too?

If you could also send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

eastpaw
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, Megan, thanks for replying.

My Dropbox version is 304.2.4.

This Help Center article (set Office app as default) - yes I already did read this before posting, but it was of no help. The Word app does not show in the dropdown list. Screenshot - 15_11_2022 , 09_30_51.png

"Open with" missing screenshots:

Here are some files in my Dropbox.

Screenshot_20221115_093411_com.dropbox.android.png

When I tap one of the kebab buttons, I get only these options:

Screenshot_20221115_093422_com.dropbox.android.png

If I long-press the item instead, it gets selected. And the selection kebab gives me only these.

Screenshot_20221115_093502_com.dropbox.android.png

If I open the file in preview mode by directly tapping the file, then an "open with" button becomes available (on the preview screen).

Polish_20221115_094318984.jpg

This is unhelpful here because the protected Word doc I am trying to open doesn't open in preview, and the error window does not have an "open with" button.

Screenshot_20221115_094203_com.dropbox.android.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @eastpaw, amazing job on the added info!

These screenshots describe the situation on your mobile. You also mentioned you're having a problem with the website too, right?

What do you see when you try to open the files there?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?