cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing PDFs in Dropbox from my iPad

Editing PDFs in Dropbox from my iPad

GS321
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I'm trying to edit/markup PDFs that I have stored in Dropbox from my iPad. I'm using an Apple Pencil that's capable of "markup." 

The adobe integration was meant to be the answer for this; however, Adobe is now charging extra for the ability to edit. 

Apple allows you to edit Dropbox PDFs nicely through files; however, this seems to be hit or miss as sometimes the files won't open or get re-directed to Dropbox.

Are there other ways to edit PDFs from the iPad and have it sync with Dropbox? This would seem like it should be a top priority for an added feature. OneDrive, for example, has the functionality built directly into their app. Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hecksome
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

A work around: use the "files" app on the iPad which should show dropbox as a folder, then view the pdf and markup there.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @GS321

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us!

Although there isn't much I can suggest on this, you can have a look at our official integrations in case you find something that helps you achieve what you're looking for. 

I'll also leave this thread open in case any other like-minded users have any ideas or third party apps that they can recommend. 

Finally, you can also post on our Share an idea section if you have any thoughts on a feature that you'd like to see.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RPCook
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I Just bought an iPad Pro and pencil for sole purpose of doing task you have described and have same problems. Love to know if you found a work around.

Problem
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have the same problem. The entire idea with iPad Pro is to be able to use the pen in pdf files etc. Now Dropbox and Adobe don’t allow me. If there is no solution I need to drop Dropbox. Can anyone at Drop box please answer this question

nickel1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's all I needed to know.. if I can't use the pencil/iPad effectively within DropBox then it's time to move back to OneDrive.

SarahSShah
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I downloaded Notablilty and upload my pdfs drop dropbox to Notability in order to mark them up (its a beautiful, smoothly working app and I highly recommend it). You can then share this marked up file back to dropbox/adobe/Files in iPad etc. Its not a perfect solution (even irritating sometimes if you have multiple files) but Adobe and Dropbox dont leave much choice at the moment. 

frope
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This comes a bit late, but hopefully in the meantime you've found PDF Expert? Fantastic app for editing PDFs on the iPad, syncs almost effortless with Dropbox, which you can browse right from the app. Hope that helps!

nmnm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's crazy how the linked page talkes all about what it can do, without telling you how to set that up.  

On your ipad, you have to download Adobe Reader after you download Dropbox app.  Then you access the dropbox folder FROM ADOBE READER.  

Then you can access pdf on your dropbox directly, and annotate/commnet on it without making local copy.   

PV4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's April 2021 and this is still a problem. I am switching to OneDrive.

hecksome
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

A work around: use the "files" app on the iPad which should show dropbox as a folder, then view the pdf and markup there.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Justinas123 New member | Level 2
    robderon Helpful | Level 6
    DMTA Explorer | Level 4
    hecksome Explorer | Level 4
    PV4 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?