cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with iOs Files app dropping out

Integration with iOs Files app dropping out

Dmkiz
Explorer | Level 4

I am running an iPad Pro (3rd generation) with iOs 15.1, but I had the same problem with previous versions of iOs as well. I have two issues.

First, I have tried a number of times to add Dropbox folders as "Favourites" in the side bar. It works when I add them, but then later they just disappear.

Second, when trying to access my Dropbox files through the iOs Files app, the connection seems to periodically drop out. It works fine most of the time, but often I will try to load it and it just shows me a blank screen. I then have to leave it sitting there for about 10 minutes and eventually it reloads and takes me back to the home Dropbox folder. But during that time if I try to access Dropbox through the Files app it just doesn't load. Below is a screenshot of me trying to access Dropbox:

IMG_0085.PNG

66 Replies 66

MPT
Explorer | Level 4
I have exactly the same issue. Using iPhone 11 with iOS 16 and the latest version of the Dropbox app 304.2.

I can use the files app without any issues with Box, Google Drive and iCloud Drive. It is only the Dropbox integration the problem.

It works well for some time but then all of a sudden it stops working and I’m not able to access my documents using the Files app. I can continue accessing the files through the Dropbox app but not with the Files app (or through Numbers, Keynotes and Pages).

This is a real problem since most of the iOS files integration works through the Files app.

The issue has become more recurrent lately that I’m considering now ditching Dropbox for another cloud service.

I have tried toggle on/toggle off Dropbox in the files app without success. I have restarted my phone. That works sometimes but the issue comes back.

I have also deleted and reinstalled the Dropbox app. That has worked for a day or two and then the issue comes back.

Also when there is a new update to the app the issue resolves as soon as I update it but then it comes back after a day or so.

I can’t understand why Dropbox has not solved this issue after so long.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MPT, how are you today?

Would it be okay for me to reach out via email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MPT
Explorer | Level 4
Sure you can Megan

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MPT, I just sent you an email. I'll see you there.

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Toa_Of_Justice
Helpful | Level 6

I'm also experiencing this issue in Dropbox 304.2 on my iPhone 14 running iOS 16.

Restarting my iPhone restores Dropbox integration for a while.

If any Dropboxers read this post, please reach out to me via e-mail. Thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Toa_Of_Justice, before we reach out to you, can you let us know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps other than restarting your device?

Have you cleared the Dropbox app cache from the app's settings?

Have you also tried uninstalling the app, restarting the device and reinstalling it?

Just keep in mind that if you uninstall it and you have more than 3 devices connected to your account, you won't be able to sign back in after you reinstall.

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MissPaulette
Helpful | Level 6

For those of you on this thread, I would not waste my time here. I spent months trying to resolve this with no results.  I have tried every trouble shooting device in the book (there's and mine). Requests from them to communicate via email that went no where.  I'm an IT professional with over 30 years experience in the industry and know what I'm doing. There final resolution always seems to be it's the device providers problem, which is crazy since it's the device providers OS. Who blames the operating system?  There is a definite problem in their app that they just don't want to address it. 

@Hannah - sorry if this seems rude, but I've reached the end of my rope.

Kindest regards,

Miss Paulette

Toa_Of_Justice
Helpful | Level 6

Integration dropped out again for me. This time, instead of restarting my iPhone, I just didn't use integration for about 1-2 hours. Integration started working again after that time had elapsed. By the way, my Dropbox app is now up to version 306.2.2.

asg1
New member | Level 2

Having the same issues as all here. 

Ongoing issue with sporadic connectivity to dropbox via the files app in iOS both on iPhone and iPad. Both are up to date with system updates. Have also updated the Dropbox app on both devices.

In summary:

Accessing dropbox files via the dropbox app works

If trying to access dropbox via the files app, the app does not connect to dropbox but is able to connect to iCloud and device storage

Connectivity to dropbox drops in and out. I use it daily and have this issue daily

Troubleshooting

Have followed all the advice posted without improvement (changing networks between WiFi and mobile networks), restarting devices, re-installing apps, etc. etc. etc.

The problem appears to be between iOS communication (Files app) and connectivity to Dropbox because if accessing dropbox via the dropbox app, it seems to work.

06nH
Explorer | Level 4

For what it is worth, I tend to go to Dropbox settings in the iPad settings panel, turn background app refresh on and off, and do the same for tracking. This seems to reconnect things. 

I did notice that a disconnect might result in loosing work when I annotate pdfs, so it was about time this issue got resolved.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    playzoffs New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Architetto D. Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?