cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating data from Dropbox to Sharepoint using Migration tool

Migrating data from Dropbox to Sharepoint using Migration tool

jclayton
Explorer | Level 4

2 months ago I started a project for a client, migrate approx 1tb of data from Dropbox to Sharepoint using the Sharepoint migration tool. I was able to see the clients TEAM folder and scan/migrate the data initially. Now, the client is ready to move forward, I tried to run the same scan and migrate, it is failing. I went through and deleted the scan/migrate tasks, tried to re-create the same, now when we try to do a scan we are getting the message "unable to access dropbox"

Now, we have the dropbox connected, logged in with the ADMIN account and its not working. I was able to find 1 article that possibly relates to some recent changes to Dropbox that could be causing a permissions issue. 

Anyone else getting issues like this that could assist?

I just need to perform a delta migrate for any data add/changed since 2 months ago. 

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@jclayton wrote:

... I started a project ... migrate approx 1tb of data from Dropbox to Sharepoint using the Sharepoint migration tool. .. I was able to find 1 article that possibly relates to some recent changes to Dropbox that could be causing a permissions issue.

The Dropbox API has had a couple of changes over the last year or so (Refresh Tokens, removal of TLS 1.0 and 1.1 support, etc.) that would have required third-party developers to update any apps they've created which utilize the API. If Microsoft hasn't updated the SPMT to work with these changes, then it wouldn't be able to connect to Dropbox through the API.

Only Microsoft will be able to support any issues you're having with the SPMT. This is something you'll need to reach out to them for assistance with.

jclayton
Explorer | Level 4

I understand that there are changes that occur and will open a request with MS on this, but why would I be getting a permissions related error message?

Rich
Super User II

@jclayton wrote:

I understand that there are changes that occur and will open a request with MS on this, but why would I be getting a permissions related error message?

If the error is coming from within the SPMT, you'll need to ask Microsoft about it. Third-party applications are responsible for handling error messages received from the API.

TheMacGuyNZ
New member | Level 2

I have been having the exact same issue. 

Around August/September last year I successfully migrated 3-4TB of data, but held off on some that was still being updated/modified.
In December when I went to complete the migration the links no longer worked. I could not figure out what was going on!

I had just finished messaging my client that I did not think I was going to be able to get it done and that I wouldn't be billing them.
I checked a few more links on my search pages and came across this one!
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointmigration/mover-dropbox#what-about-dropbox-team-folders
I am now scanning up to 4.8TB of data ready to migrate to OneDrive. Thankfully the bulk of it has already been migrated, it is only the changes in the last 3-4 months that will need to migrate now!

Hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TheMacGuyNZ New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    jclayton Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?