cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add comments to Google Docs

Unable to add comments to Google Docs

AGallo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

While working on Google Doc files that I created within Dropbox, I am unable to successfully utilize the "add comments" feature. I am able to insert a comment and type information into the comment box, however when I click the "save" button, I receive the following error message:

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 2.10.24 PM.png

After clicking the "Reload" button, the page refreshes and the comment is no longer available/did not save properly. 

Editing within the document is working normally.

My internet connection is stable and strong; this happens with multiple documents. Seems like an issue with the integration between Dropbox and Google. Anyone know what is going on and how to fix it? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your patience. We are happy to say that this issue appears to have been resolved. If you have any other issues, please feel free to reach out to our support team, or open a new thread in the community. 

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AGallo, how are you today? 

Have you tried the same steps on a different browser in incognito mode on your current one? If not, can you give it a go? 

One more question: are you the creator of this document, or has it been shared with you? 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AGallo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there @Megan

Thanks for responding to my post. 

I created this file within Dropbox. Other users that I've shared access to this file are experiencing the same issue.

The issue I described in my original post persists in Firefox and Safari.

My primary browser is Chrome. I've just tried  accessing the file using Chrome in Incognito mode; despite being logged into my Google account, I get this message when I try to access the file:

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.05.37 PM.png

dgills
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We literally are just running into this ourselves.  On top of the fact that we can't link to an existing google doc (the Dropbox integration is only allowing us to create a new google doc requiring us to copy & paste it), the broken comments makes this integration almost a non-starter or at least doing comments inline for the time being.

This appears to be cross-browser and definitely applies to document owners as well, FWIW.

Appreciate any support on this! 🙂

AGallo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@dgills Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm sorry this is happening to you as well...but hopefully this will help Dropbox tech support recognize this as a system-wide issue. *fingers crossed* for a speedy resolution...we are losing a lot of valuable time and resources thanks to this integration failure.

dgills
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ha, these issues happen and we totally get it.  Glad the support and community is strong here, though!

Ranman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We've been looking to consolidate our applications therefore this integration seemed like a perfect way to eliminate having to juggle assets between two places.

Unfortunately, we ran into the same exact issue. Seems like a completely pointless integration without one of the most important functions of Google Docs. 

And God forbid you to reach out to their support team about it. I've had more intellectual conversations with rocks!!!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, happy Wednesday! 

Can you just confirm for me that the email address associated with your Dropbox account is the same as the email address used for your Google account?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ranman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan. Yes I am using the same email address for both. In fact, you cannot even create a Google Doc in Dropbox unless the emails are the same.

AGallo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Megan,

Yes, the email address associated with your Dropbox account is the same as the email address used for your Google account.

Additional update: this same issue is now occurring with other files. Initially, it seemed to be isolated to Google Doc files that I created within a certain folder. However, now this issue is affecting other Google Docs that I created within Dropbox. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lawrencebroadie Helpful | Level 5
    Emmet Community Manager
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    AGallo Helpful | Level 5
    Ranman Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?