cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @DieBaum, how are you today? 

Have you made sure that both Office 365 and your Dropbox app are up to date, and that you're using their latest versions on your mobile? We need to make sure that the error you're getting when trying to save your file to Dropbox, isn't linked to this. 

Does that happen with all of your files, or a specific file type? Can you also send me a few screenshots of the steps you follow, and the error you receive on your end, in order for me to have a clear visual? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hey there!

Thank you for the quick answer. I have just checked the app store and it tells me all apps are up to date.

I have added some screenshots so you can see what is going on. 

Screenshot_20230317_112427_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgScreenshot 2023-03-17 1.48.04 PM.pngScreenshot_20230317_112448_ES File Explorer Pro.jpgScreenshot_20230317_112500_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgScreenshot_20230317_112507_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgScreenshot_20230317_112527_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgScreenshot_20230317_112535_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpgScreenshot_20230317_112541_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DieBaum, sorry to jump in here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

May I ask if you're signed into your Microsoft account in the Office 365 app on your mobile device? 

Also, is this happening with your own files or files that are shared with you from others? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dana98501
Helpful | Level 5

My files aren't synchronizing on my phone when I edit them on my computer, and I keep getting "read only" files that I cannot edit on my phone

dana98501
Helpful | Level 5

This is also happening to me.  My phone doesn't show updates I make on my computer and I keep getting 'read only' files that I can't edit when I try to update them on my phone manually

dana98501
Helpful | Level 5

Then, as soon as I try to save a file it turns into 'read only' and I can no longer edit it

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dana98501, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you clarify your device's OS version and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well? 

Also, how are you editing the file in the first place? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter!

Yes, I'm signed in. 

These are my files although du to IT-restrictions at work I frequently have to update them on different devices and transfer them by e-mail. Up until yesterday I had no problems caused by that. 

Andy

Suept
New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same problem on Android (phone and tablet). I could send identical screenshot to those in this thread.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, although it was already the latest version.

Sometimes I am able to save with a different file name but not always.

Again, this has only just started to occur.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

david u.4 Helpful | Level 5
    DrVJMJ Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?