cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox decreased storage and stopped automatic payments

Dropbox decreased storage and stopped automatic payments

DVMSx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I have been paying for at least 1 TB of space since 2017, with yearly payments automatically taken from my account.  I upgraded to 2 TB Plus a few years ago.  This year it did not automatically deduct the payment, I cannot find where my payment information is to check the card is correct (it may have changed), and Dropbox decreased my storage down to 2 GB.  Even if the 2 TB Plus was a promotion, I should still have 1 TB.  Given the prices of the upgrade options and the amount I have been paying yearly, the initial 1 TB was not a promotion.

Can someone explain why:

1) Dropbox decreased my storage to 2 GB even though I've been paying for at least 1 TB

2) Why my automatic payments stopped

3) Where to find my payment information (it is not on the invoice, even when I choose "look up charge)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @DVMSx.

The Dropbox Plus plan, which, as I understand it, is what you had, was updated to 2 TB from 1 TB a few years ago. 

This change happened for all our users, so the extra TB wasn't a promotion, it's an upgrade to the plan itself.

Now, when the payments for a subscription stop coming in, the account gets downgraded to the free version.

Since you have downgraded, you no longer have a billing tab, that will show you your payment info on file, as there's no payment info on file any more.

To resume with your subscription, all you need to do now is re-upgrade. You can do so through this page.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DVMSx, let's see what we can find on this!

You can see your account transaction history on your Payments page here: https://www.dropbox.com/payments . Can you have a look in there, and see what you can find?

Your plan page would also be of great help. 

Now, as to why the payments ceased, you would need to contact your payment provider in order for them to tell you more, since we don't have that info. 

Keep me posted.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

DVMSx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Megan, 

Thank you for offering to help!

Your payment link redirects me to the billing page, which I have already been to.  I have attached a screenshot below labeled Billing.  On that page it says I've been billed for at least 1 TB since 2016 (got the year wrong on my initial post).  When I click on Invoice, it still shows 1 TB or 2 TB, depending on the year.  Please see the screenshot below labeled Invoice.  Using the Look Up Charge button on the billing page, I am able to see how much I payed, screenshot below labelled Transaction.  It looks like I've been paying $99.99 every year, which should at least give me 1 TB given that your upgrade option of 2 TB is $119.88.

What I cannot find is where my payment information is located.  All other websites where I have been paying something have a location where I can at least see the last 4 digits of the card or bank account being used.  Where is this located?

In the mean time, it does not make sense that Dropbox would have decreased by plan to 2 GB since I have been on a minimum of 1 TB for many years.

Once I can figure out where my current payment information is located, I can try to correct the card or bank account, and would still like to receive my 1 TB yearly.

Thank you for your help!

Billing

Biling.png

Invoice

Invoice.png

Transaction

Transaction.png

Plan

Plan.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @DVMSx.

The Dropbox Plus plan, which, as I understand it, is what you had, was updated to 2 TB from 1 TB a few years ago. 

This change happened for all our users, so the extra TB wasn't a promotion, it's an upgrade to the plan itself.

Now, when the payments for a subscription stop coming in, the account gets downgraded to the free version.

Since you have downgraded, you no longer have a billing tab, that will show you your payment info on file, as there's no payment info on file any more.

To resume with your subscription, all you need to do now is re-upgrade. You can do so through this page.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DVMSx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for that clarification!

I'm disappointed Dropbox automatically downgraded without notifying me that the payment information was no longer working.  Instead they just started sending me messages that I needed to upgrade.  Plus, now I have to pay $20 more for the same thing I was getting previously. 

Many thanks to you and Megan!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DVMSx New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?