cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining a Business team, and what is the best way to do that?

Joining a Business team, and what is the best way to do that?

MattR55
Explorer | Level 3

I have a personal dropbox under a personal email, but now my new company wants me to join and share their dropbox. How do I best do that? Do I need a totally new account with a different email address and log in, or can I add this new team folder to my existing personal account?

The company invited me to my personal email, but when I clicked the invite I got these two strange choices that made no sense. One involved effectively transferring all of my personal files to the company team one (i think!)

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MattR55, thanks for posting here today! 

Your options are to either sign in with an existing Dropbox account, or create a new account. If you merge your existing account into the team, then it will become part of the Business account. 

You should be able to see and access the Team's files, using your existing credentials, provided that you choose that. Of course, you can always create a new account, and go with that. 

I hope this helps! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MattR55
Explorer | Level 3

HI Meghan - thanks so much for the quick response. However still confused

my email for my personal dropbox account is [email removed as per Community Guidelines] I've been invited to share the team folder of my company. However when i click on the invite link I get these two choices:

1. One 'combine with team account': merges the two and moves all my personal files into the company team folder - which I don't want.

2. "Keep it separate: You’ll need to create a second Dropbox account to keep work and personal files separate". This seems to propose that all of my current files are moved to a new account - also what I don't want.

I just want the new company team folder to be a folder within my current dropbox set up. Is that not possible?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MattR55, in order to access the team folder, you must join the Dropbox Business team. 

If you don't want to merge your account with the team, or don't want to have a new email to keep your files separate, then you'll need to request them to cancel the invite.

Instead, they can invite another email you have, to be used as a work email for the .Dropbox Business team. You can then link the two accounts together, keeping both personal and work accounts separate, but syncing individually. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    MattR55 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?