cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox asking me to upgrade my account?

Why is Dropbox asking me to upgrade my account?

seahawk
New member | Level 2

In the last week, I received three marketing emails from dropbox aimed at getting me to upgrade my account thinly veiled as alternately alarmist alerts and courtesy reminders about my account reaching storage capacity. I still have 500 GB of space in my account. I have not recently greatly changed my dropbox activity or added an unusually large number of files. This is clearly just a new, obnoxious and borderline-underhand marketing approach to get busy or less computer savvy people to upgrade in a panic thinking that their files are about to be lost or stop syncing before they check their account details. 

"It’s time to upgrade your account." When using around 1.5 of 2 tb of my storage for the last six months? Actually sounds like I have the perfect plan for me already!

"your files are about to stop syncing!" If my account is really going to struggle to sync when I am using 75% of the storage capacity that I pay for each month and have hundreds of gigabytes of space left, that is a terrible product and service. If the 2TB plan actually supports backup and sync for far fewer than 2TB of files, do not call it a 2TB plan.

"There's no need to delete anything...yet. We've got you covered." Great, that is literally exactly what I pay for each month. You don't need to let clutter my inbox congratulating yourselves for doing the service your company exists to do.

C'mon Dropbox. I'm squicked out. I just unsubscribed from "running out of space emails" but this is dumb as heck. 

dbox.jpg

 

17 Replies 17

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @IronOre, your comments on this have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dominic Mitchell
New member | Level 2

Good day

Dropbox is saying my storage is full but I have only used 22% of storage. They say they have stopped all syncing but I am fully paid up.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Dominic Mitchell, let's jump right into this!

Based on what you mentioned, it sounds as if you received an email about this, right? If so, then is it possible you have two different Dropbox accounts? 

As a first step, can you check your plan page, and let me know what it reports there? Do you also have any shared folders, that could potentially be taking up space on your account?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Dominic Mitchell
New member | Level 2

my plan page says I have used 22% of my storage but still tells me to upgrade.... what is this about?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Dominic Mitchell, could you possible attach a screenshot with the message, asking you to upgrade? 

Just make sure none of your personal info is shown there. Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sandymack22
New member | Level 2

Why I am receiving emails that my dropbox is full asking to upgrade. Mine is empty & I don't care about having it.

I don't know what it is, and I don't care to know.  

I came with my laptop and can't delete it.

I am jsut concerned that it will affect my computer.

and ofcourse they don't bother answering.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sandymack22, and welcome to our Community!

Are those email notifications that you're receiving, and if so are they in an email form, or a pop-up message to your account? 

If they are email notifications, are they going to the same email address you see in your account settings? What is your plan page reporting?

Meaning, is it possible that you have another account that is actually full, under a different email address?

Let me know more! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

barmooka
Explorer | Level 4

I have all the email notification disabled on the website, but I get marketing spam via the notification  badge in the App. There is no where in the app I can see to disable this excpet for snoozing ALL notifications and thats only for a short time. How do I sop there aggressive marketing tactics so I dont miss actual real notifications that may be important? Do I need to just ditch Dropbox for another service? I can understand the marketing pressure if I was using a free account but as a paid subscriber I do not appreciate this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

barmooka Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    sandymack22 New member | Level 2
    Dominic Mitchell New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?