cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of administrator after losing the current administrator in the business

Change of administrator after losing the current administrator in the business

BeeLighting
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

We've recently had a change of CEO in our business and the old CEO held the administrator login for our dropbox account.

How do we change the administrator in this situation?

8 Replies 8

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BeeLighting, welcome aboard the Dropbox Community!

Can you give me some more info on the situation, like has the admin already left the team?

Were they the only team admin?

And do you have access to their login credentials? Because only a team admin can make someone else an admin of the team.

You can see more info here.

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BeeLighting
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Unfortunately we only had one administrator and they have left the company without telling us their login details.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update, @BeeLighting.

Is there a way to contact the current team admin?

If so, you can let them know that they can make someone else on your team an admin by following the steps below:

1. Log in to https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin 

2. Click the gear to the right of the member you'd like to turn into an admin and select "Add admin permissions" from the menu.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

BeeLighting
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no way to contact the team administrator.

Does that mean there is no way to change the administrator on this account?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, if the email address that the admin was using for their account is under a business domain that you use for the company, perhaps the company IT can gain access to the email and that would help you gain access to the Dropbox account.

If not, I'd suggest you contact our support team directly, to see if there's something else that can be done.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

trygwest
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah,

Finally, I found a topic that relates to a delicate situation regarding my choir's team. Please let me know if this forum is for professional/business teams only. It's my first time here, so I appologize for any breaks of forum protocols.

I'm a member of a choir that uses Dropbox to store and distribute scores. Sadly, our administrator passed away earlier this year, and only he could grant access to others. We have been unable to retrieve his password in order to log on and transfer his administrator credentials to me. His username/email-address is still in the team member list, and so am I.

How do we proceed in this situation? We cannot be the only team having this issue? 

Rich
Super User II

@trygwest wrote:

Sadly, our administrator passed away earlier this year, and only he could grant access to others.

It sounds like you're not using an actual Business team account, but probably just a shared folder that multiple people have access to, and the owner of the folder was the person that has passed away. Would that be correct?

If so, only the owner of the folder can designate a new owner. Your best option would be to create a new folder, share it with whomever needs access, and then move all of the files from the old folder to the new folder.

trygwest
New member | Level 2

Hi, Rich

Thanks for your reply! You are probably right. I haven't been informed that we pay for our account. That is probably why we also have limited account storage.

I think your solution is the only one, although it means quite a cumbersome process moving all members and scores to the new account.

Thanks for a useful community, and your help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

trygwest New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    BeeLighting Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?