cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox's 2FA servers failed and now I'm locked out of my files for an entire DAY

Dropbox's 2FA servers failed and now I'm locked out of my files for an entire DAY

2FA-is-a-trap
New member | Level 2

Hi.

I searched for over an hour trying to find a way to get to an actual customer service person who could resolve this for me, but apparently Dropbox is fully automated and utterly useless. I found a single phone number to call, but it, too, was automated and hung up on me after a single menu navigation.

I have been using Dropbox for nearly 20 years. Practically since it first came out.

Today I went to simply relocate my Dropbox folder on my PC, and instead of being able to update the local file path in my preferences, the entire application had a meltdown.

It logged me out. I attempted to log back in. I have 2FA set up, through email.

So I waited for the code, and copy/pasted it over (no secret spaces, no accidental mis-typed out-of-order characters, JUST the code).

It returned an invalid error. I tried once more. It gave me the same error.

I requested a new code. Once it arrived, I copy/pasted THAT one. It, also, claimed to be invalid.

Then I was emailed the following: "We've detected a large number of failed attempts at two-factor authentication for your account, and to prevent malicious activity we've disabled authentication to your account for 24 hours."

So I am locked out of my account for an entire DAY because Dropbox's 2FA servers failed.

How is this reasonable or okay? To retaliate against users for a system completely out of our control, failing? This policy needs to be changed, and there needs to be ACTUAL customer support available.

I don't expect anyone here to be able to help, because this is just a big pile of users trying to assist each other from the company side, while the company washes its hands of all responsibility. It's not okay.

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @2FA-is-a-trap, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Since this is an account specific and sensitive matter, I'd suggest getting in contact with our support team for further assistance on this.

To do so, make sure to use an incognito window without logging into any Dropbox account and fill in this form with all the relevant information.

Once you get a ticket number from our system, you can share it with us here so that we can look it up as well.

I hope this helps a tad. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

2FA-is-a-trap
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the advice, fellow unpaid Dropbox user who is not actually Dropbox customer support. I did as you said but I am completely confident the 24-hours will expire before any meaningful response or solution is otherwise forthcoming. There was no ticket number displayed to me after submitting the form, so I can't do anything about that.

Rich
Super User II

@2FA-is-a-trap wrote:

Thanks for the advice, fellow unpaid Dropbox user who is not actually Dropbox customer support.

@Walter is actually a Dropboxer; not an end-user like you or I.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    2FA-is-a-trap New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?