cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The provided user information isn't valid | iPhone XR

The provided user information isn't valid | iPhone XR

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

Haven't used Dropbox for a while. No problem signing into my account on dropbox.com. No problem re-installing on my Mac and managing files from there. I removed about a dozen old linked devices, keeping my main computer because of the free account rules, leaving just the main computer linked.

• Attempted to sign in on an iPhone XR not previously used with DropBox.
  • Checked app was properly updated to latest release available for iPhone XR.
  • Tried three times to log in. Each time, I was sent a one-time security code by mail, which I entered.
  • The app would not allow me to sign in on the iPhone with the security code. I did carefully check each time that the security code matched the email. (Plus Apple provides auto-fill, detecting the code from email, and they matched. Tried once with auto-fill, twice with hand-entry.)
  • After the third attempt, all logins on the iPhone XR now say "The provided user information isn't valid". I don't even get to the 2FA/security code email step.
  • Web: No problems.
  • Mac: No problems.

I was planning on using DropBox to store presenter notes for a trip in about a week.

Help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

So, apparently after updating new password on Mac, it takes time to propagate via iCloud to iPhone. When I "revealed" the password, it showed I was using the original password before password reset a few minutes ago.

Manually typed in the new password I just set on desktop web. Got in, was bombarded by "UPGRADE NOW!" but...seems to be working, even if the UX is a little hostile.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this is solved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

What version of Dropbox and what version of iOS is the iPhone using?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

Version 358.2, updated 3 weeks ago

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

It is running iOS 17.2.1

Mark
Super User II

Have you checked to see how many devices are registered at https://www.dropbox.com/account/security ? If you are a free user you are only allowed 3

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

I removed all but one device before attempting to install. The current number is 1. The desired number is 2.

erica s.8
New member | Level 2
  • Changed password on desktop web.
  • Rebooted phone.
  • Confirmed phone could log in via web.
  • Phone still unable to log in via app. "Sign-in failed. The provided user information isn't valid."

erica s.8
New member | Level 2

So, apparently after updating new password on Mac, it takes time to propagate via iCloud to iPhone. When I "revealed" the password, it showed I was using the original password before password reset a few minutes ago.

Manually typed in the new password I just set on desktop web. Got in, was bombarded by "UPGRADE NOW!" but...seems to be working, even if the UX is a little hostile.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this is solved.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

erica s.8 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?