cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot log into Dropbox account

"Failed to send text message for two-step verification" error when trying to sign in

jonmchee
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I am facing the same issue.

Ticket #20977317: DB: cannot access my account

44 Replies 44

jonmchee
Helpful | Level 5

I just spent 30mins on the chat in dropbox support. Now they tell me that they cannot even assist me in deleting the account because an agent is already assigned to our case. To sum up:

1) not my fault (2FA bug)

2) no one responds

3) I cannot delete the account and the contents until someone responds

4) meanwhile, all my work data is held hostage

5) The chat support is unable to do anything except leave a note in the system for the agent

Looks like we have to broadcast this on socials to let people know how dangerous the situation is with our DropBox account. Shocking.

jonmchee
Helpful | Level 5

another agent came on board to cut and paste solutions that I have already tried. I reflected this on my email, which they totally ignored and to make things worse they closed the thread as "resolved"! What is going on dropbox?!

Agustin_NM
Explorer | Level 4

Finally, on my home PC I was able to access my personal Dropbox settings through the Windows app and was able to disable 2FA. That way I was able to finish configuring my new mobile. Now I have my account without 2FA, I think it's best to leave it like that for now.

mike561
Helpful | Level 5

Hi

I'm getting one response at the moment about every 24 hours.  The person still doesn't seem to understand the problem, the "unable to send..." text, and having just responded, I imagine I have to wait another 24 hours for another reply.  It does seem a very poor way to provide such an important service to so many people.  If I can get back in  I will also review how I store files.  At least I can blame Dropbox for this mess as people will be annoyed and asking questions.  The irony is that I continue to get emails telling me I'm moving up their ranking!  Who cares?, I just want to access my files.

Unfortunately I've tried every other way to get access but havent got the app downloaded on any other device to enable me to get through the back door so to speak.   Have tried opening an account on my phone but of course I'm unable to do that due to requiring the 2FA in the first place.  Stuck!

mike561
Helpful | Level 5

Well, it seems worse than ever.  No response at all in the last 24 hours.  Do Dropbox assume no one works at weekends, especially when trying to sort problems out due to Dropbox?  This is a terrible service Dropbox.  

Does anyone have any idea if there is a next step up process to get problems sorted?  Is this it?

mike561
Helpful | Level 5

Finally got in.  not sure if it was Dropbox help or not.  decided to cancel my 2 step verification though google and was then able to get straight into dropbox. cancelled my 2FA with Dropbox and will probably look for another safe place and cancel my Dropbox subscription.  They've been no help as far as I can detect.  Good luck out there.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, thanks for your reports!

If anyone is still having issues with this, feel free to reach out to our support for further assistance or let us know here and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Agustin_NM
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, from what I've seen in this community, and regarding the bug in the 2FA system, support hasn't been very helpful. Not even Dropbox has acknowledged the bug. I still have 2FA disabled and I don't know if it will work for me one day. As it is, I don't trust Dropbox. Your support is lousy. Lots of marketing and little support.

LoanTran
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, I also had the same problem when I logged into my account. I did not receive the step 2 verification code through my phone. This is another account I created to respond to my condition. Please help me or report to the technical department to fix the error for me. I have also submitted a report all week now, but the issue is still not resolved. My dropbox account is [removed per Community Guidelines]. Thanks in advance.
(I found the solution is very simple but why don't you guys. Instead of sending the step 2 verification code over the phone, send it via email like how this account is logged in or turn off this step helps. I still regularly log into OneDrive, GGdrive easily and without any problems).

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LoanTran

If you’ve already submitted a support ticket about this to our team, can you please share your ticket number with me, so that I can locate it in our system and have a look, as well?

Thanks.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?